Re: [civilwarwest] Shiloh Question

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 6, 2006
      In a message dated 9/5/2006 4:55:18 PM Central Daylight Time, dan6764@... writes:
      Several months ago there was some discussion about a group from this forum meeting at Shiloh this fall.. If I recall we were talking about the last weekend of October..  Is there any interest for doing this??
      I'll express interest. Let's at least pick a weekend and see if there is any interest. Once we have a weekend, I can post in another forum where there may be some interest. Sister board, civilwarinteractive.com, has a number of locals, as well.
      Ken
    • Dan G
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 6, 2006
        Right now the last weekend of October is still fine with me..  But I am flexible couple weekends either way..   Go ahead and do the post and let's see what happens
        Your Servant
        Dan Graff

        keeno2@... wrote:
        In a message dated 9/5/2006 4:55:18 PM Central Daylight Time, dan6764@yahoo. com writes:
        Several months ago there was some discussion about a group from this forum meeting at Shiloh this fall.. If I recall we were talking about the last weekend of October..  Is there any interest for doing this??
        I'll express interest. Let's at least pick a weekend and see if there is any interest. Once we have a weekend, I can post in another forum where there may be some interest. Sister board, civilwarinteractive .com, has a number of locals, as well.
        Ken

      • Tom Mix
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 6, 2006

          The last weekend of Oct. sounds good to me too. I can’t make any promises but I sure would like to attend such a great gathering. It should be tons of fun and Shiloh is by far my favorite place to visit.

          Tom

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 6, 2006

            > How much did Jeff Davis have to do with this bone-headed decision, is
            > what I'd like to know.
            > Same flawed thinking that led to firing on Sumter.

            The Secretary of War ordered Polk and Pillow to withdraw from Columbus
            and Kentucky immediately, but Davis cancelled that order. Davis was
            also advised not to fire on Sumter but then again, he went against the
            advice. Your description of him as a bone head is very apropo.

            JEJ
          • gnrljejohnston
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 6, 2006
              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Black" <rblack0981@...> wrote:

              > I agree with the results of Polk's occupation of Columbus KY as you
              > mention them but the reasons why this occurred were much more
              extensive.
              > It is true the confederates made a very bad move as they got most of
              the
              > blame for violating KY neutrality. The federal goverment was just as
              > guilty if not greater as they had been sending arms into KY and been
              > openily recruiting within the state while setting up camps for federal
              > troops in KY ( Camp Dick Robinson and others ).

              Ron,
              The Confederates were also openly recruiting within the state. That
              was one of Sherman's concerns when he was still working under
              Anderson. The Zollicoffer and Buckner were signing up more recruits
              than what the Union forces were.. I guess the Union recruiters did not
              know how to make grits. :-)

              JEJ