Re: [civilwarwest] The Beginning of the End

  • rbaquero@netzero.net
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 5 11:04 AM

      Cool inf JEJ....something new to me , thanks , here in Florida I found the Confederacy still alive and well ....:-).

      -raul

    • Dan G
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 5 2:42 PM
        Good Evening:

        Several months ago there was some discussion about a group from this forum meeting at Shiloh this fall.. If I recall we were talking about the last weekend of October..  Is there any interest for doing this??  If so, I would like to make at least some tenative plans so I can schedule the time off ..
        Hope to see some of you there.
        Dan Graff

      • nickrelee@aol.com

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 6 7:20 AM
            In a message dated 9/5/2006 4:55:18 PM Central Daylight Time, dan6764@... writes:
            Several months ago there was some discussion about a group from this forum meeting at Shiloh this fall.. If I recall we were talking about the last weekend of October..  Is there any interest for doing this??
            I'll express interest. Let's at least pick a weekend and see if there is any interest. Once we have a weekend, I can post in another forum where there may be some interest. Sister board, civilwarinteractive.com, has a number of locals, as well.
            Ken
          • Dan G
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 6 8:14 AM
              Right now the last weekend of October is still fine with me..  But I am flexible couple weekends either way..   Go ahead and do the post and let's see what happens
              Your Servant
              Dan Graff

              keeno2@... wrote:
              In a message dated 9/5/2006 4:55:18 PM Central Daylight Time, dan6764@yahoo. com writes:
              Several months ago there was some discussion about a group from this forum meeting at Shiloh this fall.. If I recall we were talking about the last weekend of October..  Is there any interest for doing this??
              I'll express interest. Let's at least pick a weekend and see if there is any interest. Once we have a weekend, I can post in another forum where there may be some interest. Sister board, civilwarinteractive .com, has a number of locals, as well.
              Ken

            • Tom Mix
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 6 8:20 AM

                The last weekend of Oct. sounds good to me too. I can’t make any promises but I sure would like to attend such a great gathering. It should be tons of fun and Shiloh is by far my favorite place to visit.

                Tom

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 6 2:09 PM

                  > How much did Jeff Davis have to do with this bone-headed decision, is
                  > what I'd like to know.
                  > Same flawed thinking that led to firing on Sumter.

                  The Secretary of War ordered Polk and Pillow to withdraw from Columbus
                  and Kentucky immediately, but Davis cancelled that order. Davis was
                  also advised not to fire on Sumter but then again, he went against the
                  advice. Your description of him as a bone head is very apropo.

                  JEJ
                • gnrljejohnston
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 6 2:16 PM
                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Black" <rblack0981@...> wrote:

                    > I agree with the results of Polk's occupation of Columbus KY as you
                    > mention them but the reasons why this occurred were much more
                    extensive.
                    > It is true the confederates made a very bad move as they got most of
                    the
                    > blame for violating KY neutrality. The federal goverment was just as
                    > guilty if not greater as they had been sending arms into KY and been
                    > openily recruiting within the state while setting up camps for federal
                    > troops in KY ( Camp Dick Robinson and others ).

                    Ron,
                    The Confederates were also openly recruiting within the state. That
                    was one of Sherman's concerns when he was still working under
                    Anderson. The Zollicoffer and Buckner were signing up more recruits
                    than what the Union forces were.. I guess the Union recruiters did not
                    know how to make grits. :-)

                    JEJ