The Beginning of the End

  • gnrljejohnston
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 3 6:41 PM
      Today, September 3rd is the day that was the beginning of the end of
      the Confederacy. For it was on this date in 1861, Gideon Pillow under
      orders from Leonidas Polk, set up batteries and troops at Columbia,
      KY. In doing so, he violated Kentucky's self stated neutrality. Up to
      that time, KY was a buffer zone between Union forces to the North and
      Confederate forces in Tennessee. With neutrality broken, Union forces
      were able to use the Tennessee River and the Cumberland River as
      highways to move their troops. The fall of the Confederate forts Henry
      and Donelson, and the battle of Shiloh on these rivers thus added
      another nail to the Confederacy's coffin. The rest is history.

      JEJ
    • Carl Williams
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 4 9:24 AM
        How much did Jeff Davis have to do with this bone-headed decision, is
        what I'd like to know.
        Same flawed thinking that led to firing on Sumter.

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "gnrljejohnston"

      • keeno2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 4 12:56 PM
          In a message dated 9/4/2006 11:28:23 AM Central Daylight Time, carlw4514@... writes:
          How much did Jeff Davis have to do with this bone-headed decision, is what I'd like to know. Same flawed thinking that led to firing on Sumter.
          There would appear to be quite a number of bone-headed decisions/assumptions goin' on down there in '61. Expecting A.S. Johnston to cover all that territory is just one. Driving Kentucky off the fence is another (If they hadn't done it, the U.S. would have had to sieze Paducah and tip Kentucky off the other side.). Which is not to say that Lincoln's people didn't do some bone-headed things, but it seems that the Confederate ones had farther-reaching consequences.

          Just a thought.
          Ken
        • Ron Black
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4 5:29 PM
            <GnrlJEJohnston@...> wrote:

            > Today, September 3rd is the day that was the beginning of the end of
            > the Confederacy. For it was on this date in 1861, Gideon Pillow under
            > orders from Leonidas Polk, set up batteries and troops at Columbia,
            > KY. In doing so, he violated Kentucky's self stated neutrality. Up to
            > that time, KY was a buffer zone between Union forces to the North and
            > Confederate forces in Tennessee. With neutrality broken, Union forces
            > were able to use the Tennessee River and the Cumberland River as
            > highways to move their troops. The fall of the Confederate forts Henry
            > and Donelson, and the battle of Shiloh on these rivers thus added
            > another nail to the Confederacy's coffin. The rest is history.
            >
            > JEJ

            JEJ:

            I agree with the results of Polk's occupation of Columbus KY as you
            mention them but the reasons why this occurred were much more extensive.
            It is true the confederates made a very bad move as they got most of the
            blame for violating KY neutrality. The federal goverment was just as
            guilty if not greater as they had been sending arms into KY and been
            openily recruiting within the state while setting up camps for federal
            troops in KY ( Camp Dick Robinson and others ). The neutrality of KY
            was of greater benefit to the confederates as it protected the long
            boundry between TN and KY and impeded federals troop movements. The
            confederate forces should have been doing everything in their power to
            preserve the state of neutrality of KY and entering the state was not
            the thing to do. Pressure applied by the federals and the expected
            arrival of General Albert S. Johnston caused the rebels forces to move
            into KY, such as Polk at Columbus, Zollicofer at Cumberland Gap and
            Cumberland Ford and followed by Buckner at Bowling Green. These moves
            established the forward confederate line in KY composed of too few
            troops which Johnston concealed for sometime by a bold display of troops
            which prevented the federals realizing how few they actually were.

            I'm disappointed of how too few of CW students realize the strategic
            results from these early movements in the civil war. These early
            movements and battles deserve much more study, reading and appreciation.

            Question for everyone. Why did the rebel forces under Zollicofer not
            continue their movements up the Wilderness road from Cumberland Gap
            towards London and Crab Orchard in KY?

            Ron
          • rbaquero@netzero.net
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5 11:04 AM

              Cool inf JEJ....something new to me , thanks , here in Florida I found the Confederacy still alive and well ....:-).

              -raul

            • Dan G
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 5 2:42 PM
                Good Evening:

                Several months ago there was some discussion about a group from this forum meeting at Shiloh this fall.. If I recall we were talking about the last weekend of October..  Is there any interest for doing this??  If so, I would like to make at least some tenative plans so I can schedule the time off ..
                Hope to see some of you there.
                Dan Graff

              • nickrelee@aol.com

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 6 7:20 AM
                    In a message dated 9/5/2006 4:55:18 PM Central Daylight Time, dan6764@... writes:
                    Several months ago there was some discussion about a group from this forum meeting at Shiloh this fall.. If I recall we were talking about the last weekend of October..  Is there any interest for doing this??
                    I'll express interest. Let's at least pick a weekend and see if there is any interest. Once we have a weekend, I can post in another forum where there may be some interest. Sister board, civilwarinteractive.com, has a number of locals, as well.
                    Ken
                  • Dan G
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 6 8:14 AM
                      Right now the last weekend of October is still fine with me..  But I am flexible couple weekends either way..   Go ahead and do the post and let's see what happens
                      Your Servant
                      Dan Graff

                      keeno2@... wrote:
                      In a message dated 9/5/2006 4:55:18 PM Central Daylight Time, dan6764@yahoo. com writes:
                      Several months ago there was some discussion about a group from this forum meeting at Shiloh this fall.. If I recall we were talking about the last weekend of October..  Is there any interest for doing this??
                      I'll express interest. Let's at least pick a weekend and see if there is any interest. Once we have a weekend, I can post in another forum where there may be some interest. Sister board, civilwarinteractive .com, has a number of locals, as well.
                      Ken

                    • Tom Mix
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 6 8:20 AM

                        The last weekend of Oct. sounds good to me too. I can’t make any promises but I sure would like to attend such a great gathering. It should be tons of fun and Shiloh is by far my favorite place to visit.

                        Tom

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 6 2:09 PM

                          > How much did Jeff Davis have to do with this bone-headed decision, is
                          > what I'd like to know.
                          > Same flawed thinking that led to firing on Sumter.

                          The Secretary of War ordered Polk and Pillow to withdraw from Columbus
                          and Kentucky immediately, but Davis cancelled that order. Davis was
                          also advised not to fire on Sumter but then again, he went against the
                          advice. Your description of him as a bone head is very apropo.

                          JEJ
                        • gnrljejohnston
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 6 2:16 PM
                            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Black" <rblack0981@...> wrote:

                            > I agree with the results of Polk's occupation of Columbus KY as you
                            > mention them but the reasons why this occurred were much more
                            extensive.
                            > It is true the confederates made a very bad move as they got most of
                            the
                            > blame for violating KY neutrality. The federal goverment was just as
                            > guilty if not greater as they had been sending arms into KY and been
                            > openily recruiting within the state while setting up camps for federal
                            > troops in KY ( Camp Dick Robinson and others ).

                            Ron,
                            The Confederates were also openly recruiting within the state. That
                            was one of Sherman's concerns when he was still working under
                            Anderson. The Zollicoffer and Buckner were signing up more recruits
                            than what the Union forces were.. I guess the Union recruiters did not
                            know how to make grits. :-)

                            JEJ