Re: The most important campaign

  • Bill Bruner
    Message 1 of 54 , Sep 1, 2006
      HankC writes:

      Of 4,175,000 votes cast, soldier's ballots totalled 154,000 (less
      than 4%) of the total. Lincoln garnered 120,000 of the votes by the
      boys in blue.

      Hank, how was this figure of 154,00 arrived at. If they were
      absentee ballots it would be easy to distinguish them as soldier
      votes.
      But I don't see how the soldier vote could be separated from the
      total population when these votes were cast by the soldiers that
      were able to return home to vote.

      154,000 is a pretty definite number. Do you know if there is a
      difinite number on how many absentee ballots were cast or is there a
      number that we can put on how many soldiers returned home to vote?
      I don't know, but have a certain suspicion that this number of
      154,000 may be the number of absentee ballots cast.

      And as was pointed out by an earlier poster, it would seem
      reasonable to believe that the soldiers' choice would have great
      sway among their family and friends back home. So, I'm inclined to
      believe that even if many soldiers were unable to vote their stated
      opinions would have a great influence.

      Bill Bruner
    • rbaquero@netzero.net
      Message 54 of 54 , Sep 10, 2006

        ...No question about it, the TRUTH  is only one = Abuse of Power and politics .

        -raul