Re: The most important campaign

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 54 , Sep 1, 2006
      Of 4,175,000 votes cast, soldier's ballots totalled 154,000 (less
      than 4%) of the total. Lincoln garnered 120,000 of the votes by the
      boys in blue.

      The idea of absentee balloting had never been raised before as it was
      never an issue. Few people ventured or moved out of their home
      district. In 1864 even the cabinet secretaries returned home to
      vote...

      HankC

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Chet Diestel <agatematt@...>
      wrote:

      > The soldier's vote was far from being negligible --- and not just
      in the tens of thousands of votes cast for Lincoln, but in their
      influence on the home folks as well.
      > If Johnny with the gun, who was daily risking his life in
      battle or from disease, was convinced that Lincon's goal of war until
      victory and reunion was the way, who were they, safe intheir beds at
      home, to argue and thus it would appear more than a few were
      influenced as to how they would cast their ballots.
      > Additionally, the thousands of three-year men --- those who had
      fought from 1861 until mustered out in the spring and summer of 1864
      rallied back to the colors that fall by re-enlisting in the big
      numbered regiments to be in on the final campaign the following
      spring --- can there be much doubt which way their votes went.
      > In regards to the P.S., I can fine no irony in the soldier's
      vote for Lincoln and against the cut-and-run appeaser crowd. Soldiers
      have the guts to go out and fight and they have the guts to see the
      dirty job through. The support, not for a pro-war faction, but for
      those who would allow the soldiers to achieve a victory so richly
      deserved. Indeed, the irony would exist if they had voted any other
      way.
      > Finally, Little Mac's popularity with the AOP that existed in
      the late fall of 1864 is more myth than fact. Many of the regiments
      which had cheered him in 1861 and 1862 were long gone and many of
      those who filled the ranks in the era of his command also were gone --
      - discharged, dead or prisoners. And even among those who remained
      and voted Democrat there seemed more loyalty to the party than
      devotion to the general --- or by then the memory of a general.

    • rbaquero@netzero.net
      Message 54 of 54 , Sep 10, 2006

        ...No question about it, the TRUTH  is only one = Abuse of Power and politics .

        -raul