Re: [civilwarwest] Re: The most important campaign

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 54 , Sep 1, 2006
      In a message dated 9/1/2006 7:13:13 AM Central Daylight Time, clarkc@... writes:
      That said, one must recall that most (all?) soldiers had to travel home in order to vote. Could they have done this after a defeat in the Atlanta campaign?
      Now you've done it. I'lll have to start looking back through some books, but for now, I'll just wing it from memory.

      Of course, not all soldiers voted -- Grant couldn't spare a mass leave, and Sherman wouldn't, but there were enough on leave and voting absentee ballots to make a difference. Perhaps not enough to give Lincoln the five percent edge, but it helped. If I'm remembering correctly, a few states sent commissioners into the field to gather votes from their states' units. There was some leave-granting and there where absentee ballots. The combination yielded not a huge number of soldier votes, but a number I would not call insignificant.
      Ien
    • rbaquero@netzero.net
      Message 54 of 54 , Sep 10, 2006

        ...No question about it, the TRUTH  is only one = Abuse of Power and politics .

        -raul