Re: [civilwarwest] Re: The most important campaign

  • Chet Diestel
    Message 1 of 54 , Aug 31, 2006
        The soldier's vote was far from being negligible --- and not just in the tens of thousands of votes cast for Lincoln, but in their influence on the home folks as well.
        If Johnny with the gun, who was daily risking his life in battle or from disease, was convinced that Lincon's goal of war until victory and reunion was the way, who were they, safe intheir beds at home, to argue and thus it would appear more than a few were influenced as to how they would cast their ballots.
        Additionally, the thousands of three-year men --- those who had fought from 1861 until mustered out in the spring and summer of 1864 rallied back to the colors that fall by re-enlisting in the big numbered regiments to be in on the final campaign the following spring --- can there be much doubt which way their votes went.
        In regards to the P.S., I can fine no irony in the soldier's vote for Lincoln and against the cut-and-run appeaser crowd. Soldiers have the guts to go out and fight and they have the guts to see the dirty job through. The support, not for a pro-war faction, but for those who would allow the soldiers to achieve a victory so richly deserved. Indeed, the irony would exist if they had voted any other way.
        Finally, Little Mac's popularity with the AOP that existed in the late fall of 1864 is more myth than fact. Many of the regiments which had cheered him in 1861 and 1862 were long gone and many of those who filled the ranks in the era of his command also were gone --- discharged, dead or prisoners. And even among those who remained and voted Democrat there seemed more loyalty to the party than devotion to the general --- or by then the memory of a general.
        With regards,
          Chet

      Bill Bruner <banbruner@...> wrote:
      I don't ever recall reading that the soldier vote was negligible, and
      didn't think that it was, but I certainly can't contest this statement
      but I have read that 75% of the identifiable soldier vote went
      Lincoln, not withstanding McClelland's popularity with the AotP.

      Bill Bruner

      PS It seems to be a bit of irony that that the soldiers in the field,
      the ones suffering the consequences, always tend to vote against the
      anti war faction.

      --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, "gnrljejohnston"
      <GnrlJEJohnston@ ...> wrote:

      > --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, "hank9174" <clarkc@> wrote:
      >

      > > The soldier vote was pretty negligible.
      > >
      > > That said, one must recall that most (all?) soldiers had to travel
      > > home in order to vote. Could they have done this after a defeat in
      > > the Atlanta campaign?
      >
      > I may be wrong, but IIRC, the soldiers were able to vote from the
      > field. Anyone have any exact documentation on this.???
      >
      > Wayne

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • rbaquero@netzero.net
      Message 54 of 54 , Sep 10, 2006

        ...No question about it, the TRUTH  is only one = Abuse of Power and politics .

        -raul