Re: Role of telegraph in Sherman's repulse at Chickasaw Ba...

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 26, 2006
      In INFERNAL MACHINES by Milton F Perry, in the appendix there is a
      list of Union ships sunk or damaged by torpedoes: a total of 43, 29 of
      which were sunk; of sunk, 4 monitors and 4 other ironclads. The CAIRO
      had the fine distinction of being the first US asset to be lost to any
      kind of torpedo, however. I believe the CAIRO victims wanted to
      believe they had been hit by the very latest technology. Maybe this
      made it not so bad.
      Not to believe Brown's account is to suspect he would have some
      post-war reason to spin a lie. I can't imagine why, so I for one have
      become completely convinced on the matter.