Re: CIvil War Prisons

  • cashg79
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 22, 2006
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@...>
      wrote:

      > Cash writes;
      >
      > Whose actions led to the suspension of the exchanges, thus causing
      > the overcrowding in the prison camps?
      >
      > Regards,
      > Cash
      >
      > I always thought that it was the federal authorities if not Grant
      > himself that suspended exchanges as the Union could more easily
      > replace their losses. I think you may have a different answer,
      please
      > enlighten me.
      >
      > Bill Bruner

      ---------

      Two reasons:

      1. The confederates were putting back into line soldiers who had
      been paroled but had not yet been properly exchanged.
      2. The confederates were not treating black soldiers captured in
      battle, or in some cases their white officers, as prisoners of war.

      Grant was not the one who suspended the exchanges. They were
      suspended by Edwin Stanton in the fall of 1863.

      Regards,
      Cash