Re: looking for more information on the battle of Richmond Ky, in 1862.

  • gnrljejohnston
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21, 2006
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "inline75067" <inline75067@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi, Gg Grandfather was a doctor with the 69th indiana infantry, in
      > 1862 and was in the battle of Richmond,Ky. Would like to know more
      > information on the battle, He was shot and may have been captured,
      > am looking for the battlefield and were the Union troops,who were
      > captured might have been held. If you got anything I would be
      > greatful.thanks inline

      The battle of Richmond KY was a rout of Union troops and basically is
      often considered the only battle in which the Confederacy destroyed
      an army (Bull Nelson's army). The best source for this battle is the
      book Where The Ripe Pears Fell by Dr. Lambert. Only about 2500 of
      these books were printed and there is no possibility of more being
      produced. You can find the book at several places like ABE Books, or
      Amazon.com, but many are asking well over a hundred dollars for the
      book. I bought mine for thirty bucks. There is a driving tour and
      the driving tour maps can be obtained by the Chamber of Commerce.

      JEJ