Roswell, POW ETC..

  • Bill Bruner
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14 2:32 PM
      Tony Gunter writes:

      > My guess is that they were sent to the prison in Louisville. Do you
      > have any evidence to the contrary?

      This part seems to be pretty clear. But my question is: how were they
      treated enroute and at this speacial facility. How long before they
      were released and what support did they get upon their release.

      If this keeps peaking my curiosity I may be compelled to order Mr
      Hitts book that Cash mentioned. I checked my library and Mr. Hitt has
      a book in the reference section on "The History of the Roswell
      Railroad". So it seems that he has done a good deal of work on the
      history of Roswell. But until I know more facts I am enjoying the
      speculation.

      In those days Mills usually provided the housing for their workers.
      Thus if the mill was destroyed the housing may have also been. To have
      left these 400 ladies bereft of sustanence and shelter on their own
      may have been much crueler than to have taken them into custody and
      provided for their physical needs as was done. One of the articles
      suggested by, Charles, I believe, referred to them as refugees rather
      than POWs. At the risk of succumbing to the fallacy of the mean I
      would guess that their status was always somewhere in between. If I
      were going to put a spin on Sherman's behalf I might argue that he had
      to call them prisoners as the federal government may not have been
      willing to foot the bill for refugees.

      Of course all of this is just a SWAG. Meanwhile I'll be working on my
      movie script I see some great scenes. Too much factual information
      may ruin it.

      Bill Bruner