Re: Problem with Sherman : Who is responsible for the death of Desdemona?

  • Charles
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 14 11:44 AM
      --- Just an interesting find, sometimes you stumble across infro when
      your not looking for it. I had a G GF who was with Wheeler, Capt James
      R Coley with the 10th confedrate cav but had already been captured by
      the time they got to Ga.He had a brother and many more family members
      that was with Wheeler all the way until their surender. So I found an
      old book of letters in the state archives here in Georgia written to
      the CS Government in 64-65 from Twiggs and Pulaski country areas of
      Georgia where my mothers side of the family is from,so I read through
      it. I found a letter from a Twiggs county planter named "Fitzgerald"
      complaining about Live stock and Chickens being took at night. He
      diddnt see who did it but he felt it was some of Wheelers men, because
      he knew some of Wheelers "groups" as he called them were from Pulaski
      county and they would know the layout of his land. He even stated that
      a Capt G Coley(my GGG uncle) had been a visistor to his home before
      the war and knew his familys times and routine. The letter was really
      funny ,it sounded like an old stuffy man that was mad that some of his
      live stock had been taken and Chickens missing and had nothing better
      to do than think of a conspiracy of how they were taken. I have
      spent hours on end in the Georgia archives reading countless letters
      written
      by people in Georgia during the time of the "March to the Sea" ,
      letters from family members to other family members decribing the
      events that were taking place. So I have an idea what really went on
      during the march.

      Charles