Re: [civilwarwest] Sherman, Logan, Howard, Thomas

  • Jfepperson@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 13, 2006
      In a message dated 8/13/2006 8:15:10 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:
      Does this memoir recount that Thomas said this to Dodge or that Dodge was present when Thomas issued this threat to Sherman?  I believe you will find that Dodge was told this story by Sherman many years after the war and he then wrote of it in his later memoirs.
      =====
      Dodge says Sherman told him of it when he (Sherman) visited St. Louis
      "at the close of the war," whatever that means.  I understand this is not
      definitive, but IMO it does serve to buttress the claim that Thomas had
      some input.

      JFE

      James F. Epperson
      http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/causes.html