Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Myth or Truth of Sherman's March

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 90 , Aug 4, 2006
      In a message dated 8/4/2006 1:22:27 PM Central Daylight Time, keg032461@... writes:
      is it possible that he choose the "Total War" route,to limit his contact with a enemy large enough to cause him much resistance, to cut his chances of failure as much as possible.
      I suppose anything is possible, but I don't see it. Waging "total" war was something that evolved in his thinking. He was almost always of the opinion that the southerner was a formidable foe and that that particular way of thinking was an objective well worth destroying. To actually bring it into practice took a couple of years.

      A complex man defying analysis.
      Ken
    • Bill Bruner
      Message 90 of 90 , Aug 7, 2006
        Tony, I didn't read Mr. Huddleston as saying that Meridian was a
        fiasco but only that it was an instance where Sherman was in
        independent command. Also wasn't Sherman in independent at
        Chickasaw Bluffs?
        Bill Bruner

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter"
        <tony_gunter@...>wrote:

        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
        > <huddleston.r@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Keep in mind., also, that neither man had been in independent
        command.
        > > Thomas' only independent command had been with a small number
        leading
        > up to
        > > Mill Springs two years before and Sherman's had been a fiasco in
        > Kentucky
        > > early in the war and more recently, I guess, the Meridian
        Campaign.

        > I don't see how the Meridian Campaign can be considered a fiasco.
        > Halleck would not allow Sherman to re-allocate the troops under
        his
        > command. Rather than have them sitting idle, he proposed a two-
        prong
        > raid to clear out the Mississippi River Valley. One wing of that
        raid
        > would strike out for Meridian in the winter, and return to
        Vicksburg in