Note from the Owner of the List #2

  • Dick Weeks
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2006
       Good Evening my friends,

      Last night I sent a message to the group about closing the CWWT down.  I had a very sleepless night and took the occasion to review my options.   This morning I reviewed the many emails I had concerning my post of last evening.  I took all of them into consideration on my decision.  I also reviewed the group emails for the last few months.  I think perhaps that some of you that emailed me might be right in that it is some of the members that are causing the problems and not the entire group.  I decided to unsubscribe a few members to see what happens.  Not to worry, I sent a personal email to each explaining what I had done.  I owed them that much.  If you have not received an email from me your are not one of the chosen few.   I will give it one more shot to see if we can return the CWWT to what I originally intended it to be, a place of learning.  Not a platform to present an agenda.  This is the first of several actions that I am going to take if I have to.

      Please, as I said in my original post, "I really want to know what happened at which battles.  What brought the armies to that battlefield. What was the result of that battle and how it affected the rest of the war."  If there were political actions taken that influenced the battles or commanders and you want to discuss those so much the better for discussion.  I just don't want the rightness or wrongness of a commander to become the center of the discussion.  That I will not tolerate and will close the thread down post haste.

      Folks, I want this group to survive more than most can realize.  I have worked very hard over the years to make it one of the premier discussion groups on the Internet and I desperately need your help to make it continue.   I do not want, with the click of a mouse, to throw it all away.  Now back to your regular programming.

      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
      http://www.civilwarhome.com
    • David Wall
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2006
        Thank you for your decision. I will attempt to abide by your wishes. I know
        I have been ocassionally guilty. My primary purpose in being here is to
        learn, and I have. I have learned about the Western Theater as well as about
        myself. And I have been introduced to many new friends. Thank you again.
        Yes...the new friends means you too Pat.

        David edkiniry Wall

      • DORR64OVI@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2006
          I too am glad to hear the list will continue.  I have been a mostly lurking member for a few years and can say without qualification that I have been amazed at the amount of knowledge exhibited by the membership.  For too many people with a casual interest in the CW, the Western Theater means little and we must continue to discuss it and encourage others to learn and write about it.

          I noted that Shotgun(Dick) took the remedy of unsubscribing some members.  Would it be kosher to ask who these members were?  That at least would give those who remain an idea of how we can make the changes we need to continue.  If you would rather not reveal those removed, I understand.

          Regards

          Kent Dorr
        • Matt Diestel
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2006
            Dick --- Thank you for your decision. When I joined this group,
            now more than a year ago, for the very reasons stated in your Aug. 1
            message to the group --- to talk about battles, to broaden my own
            knowledge of the Civil War in the Western Theater and offer my
            observations as warranted.
            But recently, the content of the posting had changed radically as
            I read them and I found myself being less and less a participant and
            more of a simply mark this for deletion. So, it is with a great deal
            of appreciation for both of your notes and a large thanks for your
            willingness to keep this site focused on its original pupose.
            With regards,
            Chet

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Weeks" <shotgun@...>