Re: A Visit to Mill Springs

  • Jimmy
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2006
      Did you take any photos that you could share/post?

      Regards,
      Jimmy

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Tom Gilbert <tomgilbert68@...> wrote:

      > Last weekend, my wife Bonnie and I drove to south-central Kentucky
      to visit a bluegrass music friend who has a place near Somerset KY ..
      he knew I had an interest in Civil War things so he drove us out to
      the nearby Mill Springs battlefield .. we visited Zollicoffer Park,
      where General Z was killed (January 19, 1862) and where some 200
      Confederates are buried in a mass grave .. the park is very well kept
      and they recently placed some beautifully arranged headstones at the
      gravesite .. apparently there are often re-enactments staged and they
      are building a new museum nearby .. it is a wonderful memorial .. we
      didn't have much time to further explore the area, but I was deeply
      impressed with what I did see .. if you are ever in the area, it would
      be well worth your time to visit the battlefield and the beautiful
      little park ..
      > Tom Gilbert, Western Pennsylvania

    • Tom Gilbert
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2006
        I wish I did .. I left my camera sitting on my desk at home .. could have gotten some nice ones there .. the park has some huge oak (I think) trees and is very quaint and pretty .. I think I read that the park has been in existance for a long time, maybe over 100 years, and they have a group that does a very good job keeping it nice and clean..tom g

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • brainbent
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2006
          wrote:

          > I wish I did .. I left my camera sitting on my desk at home ..
          could have gotten some nice ones there .. the park has some huge oak
          (I think) trees and is very quaint and pretty .. I think I read that
          the park has been in existance for a long time, maybe over 100
          years, and they have a group that does a very good job keeping it
          nice and clean..tom g

          I also visited Mill Springs last month in a Kentucky whirlwind
          tour. Visited Perryville, Mill Springs, Munfordville and Richmond.

          I managed to snap a few photos at Mill Springs and have posted them
          to a new photo folder for the group titled 'Mill Springs'.

          Hope you enjoy.