A Visit to Mill Springs

  • Tom Gilbert
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2 6:56 AM
      Last weekend, my wife Bonnie and I drove to south-central Kentucky to visit a bluegrass music friend who has a place near Somerset KY .. he knew I had an interest in Civil War things so he drove us out to the nearby Mill Springs battlefield .. we visited Zollicoffer Park, where General Z was killed (January 19, 1862) and where some 200 Confederates are buried in a mass grave .. the park is very well kept and they recently placed some beautifully arranged headstones at the gravesite .. apparently there are often re-enactments staged and they are building a new museum nearby .. it is a wonderful memorial .. we didn't have much time to further explore the area, but I was deeply impressed with what I did see .. if you are ever in the area, it would be well worth your time to visit the battlefield and the beautiful little park ..
      Tom Gilbert, Western Pennsylvania

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Jimmy
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2 7:16 AM
        Did you take any photos that you could share/post?

        Regards,
        Jimmy

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2 4:41 PM
          I wish I did .. I left my camera sitting on my desk at home .. could have gotten some nice ones there .. the park has some huge oak (I think) trees and is very quaint and pretty .. I think I read that the park has been in existance for a long time, maybe over 100 years, and they have a group that does a very good job keeping it nice and clean..tom g

          Do you Yahoo!?
        • brainbent
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2 9:33 PM
            wrote:

            > I wish I did .. I left my camera sitting on my desk at home ..
            could have gotten some nice ones there .. the park has some huge oak
            (I think) trees and is very quaint and pretty .. I think I read that
            the park has been in existance for a long time, maybe over 100
            years, and they have a group that does a very good job keeping it
            nice and clean..tom g

            I also visited Mill Springs last month in a Kentucky whirlwind
            tour. Visited Perryville, Mill Springs, Munfordville and Richmond.

            I managed to snap a few photos at Mill Springs and have posted them
            to a new photo folder for the group titled 'Mill Springs'.

            Hope you enjoy.