Note from the Owner of the List

  • Dick Weeks
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2006
      Good Evening My Friends,

      First let me tell you that this message is not aimed at any particular individual.  It is just aimed at the direction that the group has taken.  As most of you know I started the group many years ago to really learn about the Civil War as it was conducted in the Western Theater.  For the most part I succeded in that effort.  I have learned a great deal.  However, dispite all my efforts to the contrary the group has developed into a defense and/or glorification of one commander or another.  I have to be honest and tell you that I really don' t give a hoot in hell about which commander was right or which was wrong or who did what to whom or who had political connections or did not have them, etc. etc. etc.  I really wanted to know what happened at which battles.  What brought the armies to that battlefield.  What was the result of that battle and how it affected the rest of the war.  If you go back and look at the posts in the last few months you will find that anyone who wanted to know the same thing that I did about the war in the West from this discussion group were sorely disappointed.  I suspect that is why we have had so many unsubscriptions.

      I have thought about this for quite some time and haven't really discussed it with Pat yet but felt I have to say something.  I no longer want to own and maintain this list as it exists today.  I just have no interest in what is being discussed.  For that I am sorry.  However, since we have so many members in the group I will continue to maintain the list for a week or so.  In the meantime I would like someone, preferably someone who is really interested in which commander was right or wrong and who was the bad guy was or who was the good to contact me via private email to discuss with me about turning the list over.  What we have been hashing over and over for the past few months is just not something I am personally interested in. I look forward to hearing from those that would like to take over.

      As always, please do not respond to this email to the group.  Just send it to me personally.

      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
      http://www.civilwarhome.com