Re: Myth or Truth of Sherman's March

  • jaydee2065
    Message 1 of 90 , Jul 31 11:28 PM
      THE SACK AND DESTRUCTION OF COLUMBIA

      Having taken Basic Training at Ft. Jackson, this is not an item I would
      disapprove of.
    • Bill Bruner
      Message 90 of 90 , Aug 7, 2006
        Tony, I didn't read Mr. Huddleston as saying that Meridian was a
        fiasco but only that it was an instance where Sherman was in
        independent command. Also wasn't Sherman in independent at
        Chickasaw Bluffs?
        Bill Bruner

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter"
        <tony_gunter@...>wrote:

        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
        > <huddleston.r@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Keep in mind., also, that neither man had been in independent
        command.
        > > Thomas' only independent command had been with a small number
        leading
        > up to
        > > Mill Springs two years before and Sherman's had been a fiasco in
        > Kentucky
        > > early in the war and more recently, I guess, the Meridian
        Campaign.

        > I don't see how the Meridian Campaign can be considered a fiasco.
        > Halleck would not allow Sherman to re-allocate the troops under
        his
        > command. Rather than have them sitting idle, he proposed a two-
        prong
        > raid to clear out the Mississippi River Valley. One wing of that
        raid
        > would strike out for Meridian in the winter, and return to
        Vicksburg in