Re: Myth or Truth of Sherman's March

  • josepharose
    Message 1 of 90 , Jul 31, 2006
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "theme_music" <theme_music@...>
      wrote:

      > Well if you want to go that route, the city that suffered the
      > greatest amount of damage due to fire during the war was not
      > Columbia or Atlanta, it was Richmond Virginia. Those fires were set
      > under orders from RE Lee. So if we are to have "demon pyromanic-
      > off", should Lee get some consideration?
      >
      > Eric

      I would have thought that this topic was in the forbidden zone but, as
      you brought it up, General Ewell, himself, contradicts you. Lee had
      ordered that "preparations to be made for destroying the cotton,
      tobacco, &c., which the owners could not remove, in places exposed to
      capture by the enemy."

      The conflagration which occurred during what was to be a controlled
      burning, made worse by incendiarism, can hardly be blamed on Lee from
      what I can see in a quick review.

      If you provided evidence to your assertion, maybe there wqould be
      something to debate on a different forum.

      Joseph
    • Bill Bruner
      Message 90 of 90 , Aug 7, 2006
        Tony, I didn't read Mr. Huddleston as saying that Meridian was a
        fiasco but only that it was an instance where Sherman was in
        independent command. Also wasn't Sherman in independent at
        Chickasaw Bluffs?
        Bill Bruner

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter"
        <tony_gunter@...>wrote:

        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
        > <huddleston.r@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Keep in mind., also, that neither man had been in independent
        command.
        > > Thomas' only independent command had been with a small number
        leading
        > up to
        > > Mill Springs two years before and Sherman's had been a fiasco in
        > Kentucky
        > > early in the war and more recently, I guess, the Meridian
        Campaign.

        > I don't see how the Meridian Campaign can be considered a fiasco.
        > Halleck would not allow Sherman to re-allocate the troops under
        his
        > command. Rather than have them sitting idle, he proposed a two-
        prong
        > raid to clear out the Mississippi River Valley. One wing of that
        raid
        > would strike out for Meridian in the winter, and return to
        Vicksburg in