Re: Jeff Davis' trip from Palmetto,Ga to Richmond

  • Bill Bruner
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2006
      On Davis' return trip from Palmetto Ga, where he conferred with Hood
      before the Franklin Nashville campaign, this is what I could noodle
      out from my meager sources. Using a map of Confederate RRs and the
      places I know he actually visited I came up with this possible
      (probable) itinerary.

      The trip both ways took fifteen days. He took only two aided, one
      of whom was Mary Chesnut's husband. He met with Hood at Palmetto,
      with Richard Taylor in Montgomery and Beauregard and Hardee in
      Columbia

      From Palmetto Ga. to West Point on the Atlanta & Westpoint RR.
      Change trains at West Point due to different track gauge
      Then on to Montgomery, Al. on the Westpoint & Montgomery RR. After
      meeting with Richard Taylor who had moved
      his HQ to Selma, Al from Meridian Miss. Davis returns on the W&M to
      Opelika then North on a branch of the W&M to Girard
      and East to Columbus and Butler, Ga. on the Muscogee RR. Then on
      the Southwestern RR through Ft. Valley to Macon, GA.
      From Macon he takes the Central RR (of Ga.) to Millen then North on
      the Augusta & Savannah RR to Augusta. He
      speaks in Augusta and proceeds E. on the S.C. RR to Branchville S,C.
      then on a branch of that road N to Kingsville then NW
      into Columbia where he speaks and takes a days rest. The next day
      he takes the Charlotte and N.C.
      road to Charlotte via Chester then the N.C. RR to Salisbury and
      Greensboro then the Piedmont road to Danville VA. Then
      at last the Richmond & Danville road to Richmond via Burkeville.

      FWIW
      Bill Bruner