Re: The infamous intercepted order from Johnston to Pemberton

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 25 6:30 AM
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "theme_music" <theme_music@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter" <tony_gunter@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "theme_music" <theme_music@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Tony,
      > > >
      > > > In _Grant's Secret Service_ Feis identifies the dispatch bearer
      as
      > > > most likely Charles S. Bell.
      > >
      > > Does he indicate how he arrived at that conclusion? I can't seem
      > > find my book.
      > >

      > Feis has a rather lengthy end note on this. Bell fits the
      description
      > given by Badeau and Grant, as per Hurlbut's records he was
      operating
      > in Jackson at that time, and other sources that Feis lists have him
      > entering Grant's camp disguised a CS staff officer on May 13.

      Pemberton's theory on how this transpired seems to make more sense.
      If the order was issued in triplicate, why would it take three days
      to get there (surely one of the couriers would have found the direct
      path around the federal army)? Why would Johnston write in
      his "Narrative" of handing the order off to Capt. Yerger specifically?