Re: Columbia S.C. Revisited

  • gnrljejohnston
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 23, 2006

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" <carlw4514@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > [snip]
      >
      > Marjorie Bearss work on the Meridian Campaign is an interesting
      read
      > that offers some insight into Sherman's march to the sea. I think
      > protection of civilians, much less civilian property, was low on
      > Sherman's list of priorities. He didn't necessarily condone the
      acts
      > of revenge and wanton destruction that followed his army, he simply
      > didn't expend any effort to prevent it when other problems were
      > occupying his thoughts. However, when Sherman arrives in Canton
      with
      > no other purpose than to simply await word from Sooy Smith, he is
      > quick to reign in the destruction much to his men's consternation.
      > As a result, Canton was left completely unscathed, in contrast to
      the
      > swath of destruction from Jackson to Meridian.
      >
      > Given that certain soldiers were eager to pillage, many soldiers
      were
      > eager to take revenge on secessionists, and most of the freedmen
      were
      > eager for both, it's not surprising that an attitude of inattention
      > would guarantee destruction.

      This raid is one that interests me very much for it was responsible
      for the destruction of the Texas Hospital in Quitman in addition to
      two other hospitals in town itself. The cemetery is still there and
      is being taken care of by the local VFW. I do have a pic of the
      original train station that was destroyed by Union troops as well.
      Luckily, the majority of the patients of the hospital were moved
      before the Union troops arrived with only a few that were too bad to
      move.

      JEJ