Re: ST. PATTY'S day for the OCTORARA

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23, 2006
      Here is some more on the incident

      The OCTORARA was an important ship to the US Navy, saw duty
      everywhere, including being the 6th in line in going into Mobile Bay
      in that August '64 famous battle.... a pretty prime position for a
      wooden ship [4 ocean-going Ironclads were first in line]. See:

      http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-o/octorara.htm

      One thing that is surviving from the ST. PATRICK/OCTORARA incident is
      an illustration from "Harper's Weekly." See:

      http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/h59000/h59153.jpg

      The mysteriousness of the encounter to the public [if not the US Navy]
      at the time is revealed by how Harper's describes the incident: "About
      2 AM ... a moving object came out of the darkness and appeared
      alongside the ... OCTORARA. The captain of the afterguard grabbed it
      by the smokestack and tried to hold it fast, meanwhile calling for
      ropes. But the pipe was hot and he had to let it go. The nearly
      submerged vessel rapidly steamed away."

      According to HUNTERS OF THE NIGHT, by R. Thomas Campbell, the ST.
      PATRICK is "shrouded in mystery," a very advanced craft, and as I've
      mentioned Union intelligence reports to Welles that have survived
      indicated a well powered submarine capability along with other
      advanced characteristics. These indications are too fantastic, of
      course. Apparently the French imagination was quite excited by all
      this, LE MONDE publishing several artist's interpretations of Mobile
      submarines, all quite beyond reality.

      Campbell's book states that the attack occured on the OCTORARA while
      it was underway, prompting me to search for any other torpedo incident
      that was similar. So far it seems quite unique.

      More later, I want to give my 2 cents on why the torpedo did not sink
      its target.

      Carl