Re: [civilwarwest] Chickamauga Generals (cont.)

  • LWhite64@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2001
      I agree 100% about Minty's performance, it was critical to the AOC, and he
      along with several others get lost in the story.  I find it very interesting
      to look at Gettysburg and how there are so many "little Guy" heros like
      Colonel Chamberlain, etc, but for the Majority Chickamauga gets only Thomas
      and Longstreet.  As already mentioned there were many on par with their
      G-burg counterparts like Minty, Harker,  Hazen, and Brannan who all do a huge
      share in keeping disaster away on the US side and then men like Lucius
      Polk(who redeems the family name in spite of his uncle), AP Stewart(the most
      unsung CS General in my opinion), Bushrod Johnson, Mathew Ector, and Daniel
      Govan.
              Also overlooked is what I would also say is a excellent performance
      by Tom Wood after the Gap incident when he along with his brigadier Harker,
      formed a line across North Dyer Field that knocked a large portion of
      Longstreet's Corps out of action and allowed for JB Hood to be shot, possibly
      by his own men.  The loss of Hood was CRITICAL in the sucess of the defensive
      line on Snodgrass Hill, lack of coordination haunted the AOT in this battle
      and in particularly on Snodgrass.  Glad to see a thread close to my heart.

      Lee