Re: Ambrose on Vicksburg

  • theme_music@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 45 , May 3, 2001
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., carlw4514@y... wrote:
      > Re the below, I guess there is no reason to expect a USA TODAY
      article
      > to be in depth, but some remarks: Does ANYONE know exactly how
      Grant was in supply? 3) I share
      > Captain Keller's incredulity that Pemberton could fail to see that
      > a)Vicksburg was a trap b) his big chance was to keep Grant from
      > re-establishing proper supply ( those troops were not going to be
      > finding ammo "off the land") c) failing 'b,' Vicksburg had to be
      > abandoned, Johnston having told him as much, I do believe. IMHO.
      > Carl

      Hi Carl

      I've been lurking here for months but this is my first post. here
      goes:

      Following Grant's crossing of the Big Black River, the confederates
      abandoned their fortifications along the lower Yazoo River (Haines
      Bluff, Snyder's Bluff and Dromgould's Bluff.) The Union forces then
      moved supplies up the Yazoo from the Mississippi, landing at Snyder's
      Bluff about 10 miles north of Vicksburg.

      One should note that both the Yazoo and the Mississippi rivers no
      longer follow the paths they did in 1863. The Mississippi cut
      through the neck of DeSoto Bend in the 1870s. Vicksburg residents,
      not willing to be left high and dry, diverted the Yazoo so that it
      flows into the Mississippi just below the city, instead of ten miles
      upriver as it did in 1863. A circa 1863 map is inside the rear
      cover of Shlby Foote's Volume II.

      This turning of the rebel batteries along the lower Yazoo was the
      objective of both the Yazoo Pass and Steele's Bayou expeditions.
      Each of these attempts was thwarted by a combination of natural
      obstacles, mistakes by Union commanders and Pemberton's forces sent
      to oppose the Union efforts.

      Whether or not Pemberton saw Vicksburg as a trap, Jefferson Davis had
      ordered him to hold the city. (The Confederates dis-functional chain
      of command served the Union well.) Pemberton was acting on orders
      from Johnston when he left Vicksburg and moved eastward with his
      army. The CS defeat at Champions Hill, and subsequent rout at Big
      Black River Bridge, were the actions that sealed the fate of the army
      at Vicksburg.

      I trust any errors I've made will not go uncorrected!

      Eric Calistri
    • ParrotheadDan@avenew.com
      Message 45 of 45 , May 20, 2001
        Wayne,