Re: Ambrose on Vicksburg

  • carlw4514@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 45 , May 2, 2001
      Re the below, I guess there is no reason to expect a USA TODAY article
      to be in depth, but some remarks: 1) it was not just a matter of
      moving below Vicksburg, but the Navy had to get transports down there
      to get those troops across... it was a difficult task and a dramatic
      day when this occurred. 2) Grant could not rely on these ships for
      proper supply, so he famously lived off the land; however, once the
      siege was in progress, Vicksburg was cut off from supplies, but Grant
      had re-established supply. The article does not say how Grant was in
      supplyÂ…I have read suggestions that supply went up through the Yazoo
      river through the newly created "Yazoo Pass." This would have been
      quite vulnerable to interruption. Others imply that the supply line
      was north of Vicksburg through the swamps to Millikens Bend. However,
      the history of attempts to cross through there would seem to suggest
      they all failed. Perhaps the short section of the Yazoo the Union
      controlled north of Vicksburg was enough to establish contact with
      Grant. Does ANYONE know exactly how Grant was in supply? 3) I share
      Captain Keller's incredulity that Pemberton could fail to see that
      a)Vicksburg was a trap b) his big chance was to keep Grant from
      re-establishing proper supply ( those troops were not going to be
      finding ammo "off the land") c) failing 'b,' Vicksburg had to be
      abandoned, Johnston having told him as much, I do believe. IMHO.
      Carl

      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Bob Huddleston" <adco@f...> wrote:" Today's
      USAToday has an article by Stephen Ambrose on Vicksburg. You
      can
    • ParrotheadDan@avenew.com
      Message 45 of 45 , May 20, 2001
        Wayne,