Re: [civilwarwest] OT:Literature of the Trans-Missipp Arena

  • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 29, 2001
      Tony,
      I want to thank you personally for the excellent post of yours dated 4/28/01
      concerning books that you mentioned pertaining to the Trans-Mississippi
      theater of war. It is an area that to often is forgotten. Kudos

      Your obedient servant,
      Wayne Bengston
    • Tony Brown
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 29, 2001
        Dear Wayne,
                 Thank-you.
                 It is my hobby horse - if you want any more suggestions, let me know - I have a big library!
                                   Tony

        At 18:12 29/04/01 -0400, you wrote:
        Tony,
        I want to thank you personally for the excellent post of yours dated 4/28/01
        concerning books that you mentioned pertaining to the Trans-Mississippi
        theater of war.  It is an area that to often is forgotten.   Kudos

        Your obedient servant,
        Wayne Bengston

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • josepharose@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 29, 2001
          Tony,

          You modestly stated that, "I have a big library!"

          Are you trying to make us envious? You certainly have succeeded when
          it comes to me.

          All I can brag about is being able to walk to three or four Barnes and
          Nobles and one Borders within twenty minutes. The libraries here
          aren't too shabby either.

          Joseph
        • carlw4514@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 30, 2001
            I never thought much of the Feminists, but I did get a kick out of it
            when they started describing the nuclear arms race as a case of
            "missile envy" .... sooooo, I hope we are not coming down with
            "library envy" ... something tells me that Joseph's library would make
            me envious, judging by his posts, so there!
            carl

          • josepharose@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 30, 2001
              Carl,

              My "library" is the main NYC research library on 5th Ave and 42nd.
              They have a full hardcopy set of the OR's, but I still envy those of
              you with searchable CD-ROM's.

              Lee,

              Thanks for the answers on Chickamauga. Where did Wilder's unit go
              after the battle? In what other battles was he engaged?

              Do you like Cozzens' book on Chickamauga? His work on Chattanooga
              seems pretty good to me, although it was a less confusing affair than
              Chickamauga.

              Joseph
            • LWhite64@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 30, 2001
                Joseph,
                        On Wilder, he really doesnt do much after Chickamauga and ends up
                resigning and going home, ironically he will return back to Chattanooga after
                the war and become a sucessful businessman and will become a VERY popular
                mayor, he is buried in Chattanooga.
                        On Cozzens, his book is the best treatment available, I think the
                definative book on Chickamauga has yet to be written though.  My only faults
                with Cozzens is that he is highly opinionated and he really crucifies Wood in
                his book, and there is strong evidence that shows that Wood did not act out
                of malice towards Rosey.

                Lee
              • FLYNSWEDE@AOL.COM
                Message 7 of 7 , May 1, 2001
                  In a message dated 4/30/01 7:00:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time, LWhite64@...
                  writes:

                  << On Wilder, he really doesnt do much after Chickamauga and ends up
                  resigning and going home >>
                  Another classic example of higher-ups treatment of one that did a formidal
                  job as a brigade commander.