Logan Trivia (was: McPherson)

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12, 2006
      I noticed in the McPherson thread that the discussion had turned to
      Logan, which brought to mind a couple of Logan trivia questions:

      1) What was Logan's first fighting engagement, and in what capacity
      did he serve the Union in that battle?

      2) Early in the war, congressman Logan was asked to drop by an
      Illinois colonel's command and give the boys a re-enlistment pep
      talk. Who was that colonel?

      3) Which close relative to Logan stopped speaking to him when he cast
      his lot with the Union?

      4) What was unique about Logan's status after the Confederate
      breakout attempt at Donelson?

      A couple of interesting things about Logan's staff that, if I could
      confirm them (my books are out of town right now), I would turn into
      trivia questions:

      Logan may have been the only major general in the army with a
      confederate soldier on his staff (a relative he was attempting to
      reconstruct).

      The average age of Logan's staff during the Vicksburg campaign was
      probably in the mid-20's.
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12, 2006
        In a message dated 6/12/2006 6:29:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, tony_gunter@... writes:

        I noticed in the McPherson thread that the discussion had turned to
        Logan, which brought to mind a couple of Logan trivia questions:

        1) What was Logan's first fighting engagement, and in what capacity
        did he serve the Union in that battle?

        2) Early in the war, congressman Logan was asked to drop by an
        Illinois colonel's command and give the boys a re-enlistment pep
        talk. Who was that colonel?

        3) Which close relative to Logan stopped speaking to him when he cast
        his lot with the Union?

        4) What was unique about Logan's status after the Confederate
        breakout attempt at Donelson?

        1.  First battle of Bull Run as a civilian (he was still a Congressman)
        2.  Col. U.S. Grant
        3.  That was his brother-in-law who also was from West Frankfort, Illinois.  He joined the 15th TN CSA and later deserted.  He then joined the Union army and became a member of Black Jack's staff.
        4.  Some of those that tried to break out were old friends of his from West Frankfort.

        But as Steve use to say, "and then too, I could be wrong."

        JEJ
      • Tony Gunter
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 13, 2006
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, GnrlJEJohnston@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 6/12/2006 6:29:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          > tony_gunter@... writes:
          >

          > I noticed in the McPherson thread that the discussion had turned
          > Logan, which brought to mind a couple of Logan trivia questions:
          >
          > 1) What was Logan's first fighting engagement, and in what
          capacity
          > did he serve the Union in that battle?
          >
          > 2) Early in the war, congressman Logan was asked to drop by an
          > Illinois colonel's command and give the boys a re-enlistment pep
          > talk. Who was that colonel?
          >
          > 3) Which close relative to Logan stopped speaking to him when he
          cast
          > his lot with the Union?
          >
          > 4) What was unique about Logan's status after the Confederate
          > breakout attempt at Donelson?
          >

          > 1. First battle of Bull Run as a civilian (he was still a
          Congressman)
          > 2. Col. U.S. Grant

          correct.

          > 3. That was his brother-in-law who also was from West Frankfort,
          Illinois.
          > He joined the 15th TN CSA and later deserted. He then joined the
          Union army
          > and became a member of Black Jack's staff.

          I was thinking of someone much closer to Logan, someone who never
          spoke to him again, IIRC.

          > 4. Some of those that tried to break out were old friends of his
          from West
          > Frankfort.

          I was thinking of his personal status after the battle, something
          that probably makes him unique among all the generals of the war.
        • Tony Gunter
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 13, 2006

            > I was thinking of someone much closer to Logan, someone who never
            > spoke to him again, IIRC.

            Okay, I give up, I'm too impatient to wait and see if anyone comes up
            with the answer:

            Logan's own mother stopped speaking to him when he announced his
            intention to raise a regiment for the Union.

            Logan's unique status after the breakout attempt at Donelson is that,
            IIRC, he was the only living veteran of that battle to be declared dead
            by Union surgeons (a funeral detail later detected that he was still
            breathing ... again, IIRC).