Bias vs Point of View

  • Bill Bruner
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 6 5:58 PM
      I have seen the term bias used many, many times when I would use the
      term Point of View. I think an author has a right to a point of view,
      indeed the writing becomes insipid without one.

      I remember all those hidieous History textbooks I had to wade through
      that had no point of view but only cited fact and date after fact and
      date. They took what should have been extraordinarily fascinating
      subjects and turned them into a chore and a bore.

      So, I will continue my reading of interesting and knowledgeble writers:

      Here I was going to make a list but you know them all and there may be
      be new ones on the horizen. So with my salt shaker in one hand and my
      pepper mill in the other I will strive on.

      Bill Bruner
    • Bob Taubman
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 6 6:14 PM
        Sometimes it's even our own bias.

        I have seen the term bias used many, many times when I would use the
        term Point of View.  I think an author has a right to a point of view,
        indeed the writing becomes insipid without one.

        I remember all those hidieous History textbooks I had to wade through
        that had no point of view but only cited fact and date after fact and
        date.  They took what should have been extraordinarily fascinating
        subjects and turned them into a chore and a bore.

        So, I will continue my reading of interesting and knowledgeble writers:

        Here I was going to make a list but you know them all and there may be
        be new ones on the horizen. So with my salt shaker in one hand and my
        pepper mill in the other I will strive on.

        Bill Bruner

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/GmiolB/TM

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Bill Bruner
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 6 6:52 PM
          Bob Taubman writes:

          Sometimes it's even our own bias

          Indeed! I consider the charge of bias a serious matter, espeacially
          when directed at a writer who has devoted years to writing the best
          book he can. I'm not saying that it dosen't exist and shouldn't be
          exposed if it does but if the charge is made it should be backed by
          specifics.

          Bill Bruner
        • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 6 7:19 PM
            In a message dated 6/6/2006 9:53:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, banbruner@... writes:

            Bob Taubman writes:

            Sometimes it's even our own bias

            Indeed! I consider the charge of bias a serious matter, espeacially
            when directed at a writer who has devoted years to writing the best
            book he can. I'm not saying that it dosen't exist and shouldn't be
            exposed if it does but if the charge is made it should be backed by
            specifics.

            Bill Bruner

            Bill and Bob,  I have no problem with an author inserting his bias, however he/she should let it be known that it is his/her opinion.  Too often, an author would write his bias/opinion and too often, a reader can take that opinion/bias as fact.  That is where the problem lies.  Yes, those amongst us have studied and are erudite in reading authors, but there are those that are just getting interested in the CW and take literally, that which has been written.  This I believe is the problem that we (as historian or pseudo-historians) all should be concerned about.

            JEJ
          • basecat1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 6 7:55 PM
              In a message dated 6/6/2006 10:42:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
              Bill and Bob,  I have no problem with an author inserting his bias, however he/she should let it be known that it is his/her opinion.  Too often, an author would write his bias/opinion and too often, a reader can take that opinion/bias as fact.  That is where the problem lies.  Yes, those amongst us have studied and are erudite in reading authors, but there are those that are just getting interested in the CW and take literally, that which has been written.  This I believe is the problem that we (as historian or pseudo-historians) all should be concerned about.

              JEJ
              JEJ,

              Good point.  Actually read a book by a few years ago, that was so biased on a General in the Eastern Theater, that I wrote said author a letter via his publisher.  What I got back was a letter from him saying I have way too many pre-conceived notions on that person, and I don't have an open mind.  Add to that, each question I asked was rebuffed, as said author replied he did not have time to answer each one in detail, but he was including a syllabus that outlined his position in more detail, and I should read that, and learn something beyond what was in the many books on this subject.:)

              Hard to believe I read that entire book, but even if I disagreed, what would be the point to complain had I not read the entire thing??  Guess the point I am making is nowhere in that book he said it was his POV, and treated his conclusions as facts.

              Regards from the Garden State,

              Steve Basic

            • Tom Mix
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 6 9:42 PM

                Just what I was thinking, Bob.

                I know I have had mine but I have also had mine changed when I have read the writings of others if I think what they wrote made sense.  If so, I then adjust my own point of view. I believe some may call that “learning”.  Every now and then I actually amaze myself and see a capacity to learn with in me.

                Tom

                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 7 2:28 AM
                  Hi General,

                  I believe that we have preconceived opinions of our "local heroes".  How theses personages become our "heroes", I'm not sure.  Maybe because of a movie, a tv show, a book, but something makes say a Sherman someones favourite, or Grant, of Lee, etc.  Reputations are frequently enlarged by the number of books written about a particular person/subject.  You know that old addage, repeat something often enough and people will believe it.

                  How do we determine an author's bias?   Castel points out errors in Sherman's Memoirs, does that automatically make Castel bias, or anti-Sherman?  So is the author have a bias or do we have a bias that won't let us get past the author's criticism?

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 7 7:05 AM
                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Bob Taubman writes:
                    >
                    > Sometimes it's even our own bias
                    >
                    > Indeed! I consider the charge of bias a serious matter, espeacially
                    > when directed at a writer who has devoted years to writing the best
                    > book he can. I'm not saying that it dosen't exist and shouldn't be
                    > exposed if it does but if the charge is made it should be backed by
                    > specifics.
                    >
                    > Bill Bruner

                    Ah,here is the rub,to me.Yes authors might devote years writing the
                    best book they can,BUT capitalism comes into play for some I fear,that
                    they write somethings with the bottomline in the mix.
                    Such is the genesis of alternate history,which I loath! BvT
                  • Bob Taubman
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 7 7:20 AM
                      Who would you consider as writing "alternate history" to better their "bottomline"?  Which batch of current authors fits into that category?

                      http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/GmiolB/TM

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 7 8:20 AM
                        Melchisedik22 writes:

                        Mel, if you looked in the right places, you could find thousands and
                        thousands, whole libraries full of history books written by writers
                        that were not concerned about whether they sold or not. They were also
                        not concerned about their reading public bashing or even offering
                        honest and thoughtful criticism. Of course you may need translations.

                        Bill Bruner
                      • hank9174
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 7 9:49 AM
                          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman <rtaubman@...> wrote:

                          > Who would you consider as writing "alternate history" to better
                          their "bottomline"? Which batch of current authors fits into that
                          category?

                          Thomas DiLorenzo...

                          HankC
                        • hank9174
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 7 10:03 AM
                            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, GnrlJEJohnston@... wrote:

                            > In a message dated 6/6/2006 9:53:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                            > banbruner@... writes:
                            >

                            > Bob Taubman writes:
                            >
                            > Sometimes it's even our own bias
                            >
                            > Indeed! I consider the charge of bias a serious matter,
                            espeacially
                            > when directed at a writer who has devoted years to writing the
                            best
                            > book he can. I'm not saying that it dosen't exist and shouldn't be
                            > exposed if it does but if the charge is made it should be backed
                            by
                            > specifics.
                            >
                            > Bill Bruner
                            >

                            > Bill and Bob, I have no problem with an author inserting his
                            bias, however
                            > he/she should let it be known that it is his/her opinion. Too
                            often, an
                            > author would write his bias/opinion and too often, a reader can
                            take that
                            > opinion/bias as fact.

                            My impression is that bias is unwritten; if the author gives their
                            opinion/conclusion/thesis it will be judeged by their evidence as
                            well.

                            Bias, by it's nature, is not based on evidence.

                            Sherman, being a participant rather than an historian, has no need to
                            *weigh* evidence in his writing...

                            HankC
                          • keeno2@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 7 10:06 AM
                              In a message dated 6/7/2006 11:54:04 AM Central Daylight Time, clarkc@... writes:
                              Thomas DiLorenzo...
                              Haven't read him. Heard enough about his book to not buy it. But the continuing controversy is going to force me to buy it and rely on my own interpretation. Sometimes the magic works. Ain't controversy wonderful?
                              Ken
                            • Bob Huddleston
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 7 10:15 AM
                                The various books by the Brothers Kennedy, showing that the [white] South was right. See the wonderful review by Richard McMurray in _CW News_, October 1994, p. 33.

                                Take care,

                                Bob

                                Judy and Bob Huddleston
                                10643 Sperry Street
                                Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
                                303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@...

                                "Don't argue with someone who claims the earth is flat. You haven't given it a second thought, whereas he has spent 20 years thinking about and obsessing over why it is flat."

                              • hank9174
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 7 10:17 AM

                                  > In a message dated 6/7/2006 11:54:04 AM Central Daylight Time,
                                  > clarkc@... writes:
                                  > Thomas DiLorenzo...
                                  > Haven't read him. Heard enough about his book to not buy it. But the
                                  > continuing controversy is going to force me to buy it and rely on my
                                  own
                                  > interpretation. Sometimes the magic works. Ain't controversy
                                  wonderful?

                                  I suggest a free library copy ;)

                                  Be prepared for logic such as 'the sky is blue, the ocean is blue,
                                  therefore the land is blue'...

                                  HankC
                                • Bob Huddleston
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 7 10:20 AM
                                    A recent review on H-Net has a delightful summing up which is equally
                                    accurate here:

                                    "In many ways [insert name of book] does what good scholarship should do, it
                                    raises more questions than it tries to answer and forces readers to ask
                                    critical questions about their own relationship with the subject matter. The
                                    author is successful in drawing the reader into his search for answers,
                                    although on occasion he leaves the reader begging for additional insights
                                    into events mentioned but not fully investigated."

                                    Take care,

                                    Bob

                                    Judy and Bob Huddleston
                                    10643 Sperry Street
                                    Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
                                    303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@...

                                    "Don't argue with someone who claims the earth is flat. You haven't given it
                                    a second thought, whereas he has spent 20 years thinking about and obsessing
                                    over why it is flat."
                                  • sputnik842002
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 7 10:33 AM
                                      DiLorenzo's work is not history or anything close to it. It's
                                      unfortunate people actually believe that drivel.

                                      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman <rtaubman@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Who would you consider as writing "alternate history" to better
                                      > their "bottomline"? Which batch of current authors fits into that
                                      > category?
                                      > >

                                      > Thomas DiLorenzo...
                                      >

                                      > HankC

                                    • Bob Taubman
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jun 7 10:34 AM

                                        Bingo!  He was my first choice as well.

                                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/GmiolB/TM

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jun 7 10:35 AM
                                          Please don't waste your money like that. Just check out this site.
                                          http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig2/lincoln-arch.html

                                          > In a message dated 6/7/2006 11:54:04 AM Central Daylight Time,
                                          > clarkc@... writes:
                                          > Thomas DiLorenzo...
                                          > Haven't read him. Heard enough about his book to not buy it. But the
                                          > continuing controversy is going to force me to buy it and rely on my
                                          own
                                          > interpretation. Sometimes the magic works. Ain't controversy wonderful?
                                          > Ken

                                        • Bob Taubman
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jun 7 10:37 AM
                                            Take your pick.

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jun 7 11:00 AM

                                              Bob.

                                              Thanks for the link. Those titles alone sound awful so I think I’ll pass and happily say that I am glad that I had never heard of the guy.  I did recognize some of the titles but had dismissed them upon sight so I by association I also dismissed the author.  Sounds like an Ann Coulter clone.  Maybe I shouldn’t go there.

                                              Tom

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jun 7 11:22 AM
                                                In a message dated 6/7/2006 12:19:57 PM Central Daylight Time, clarkc@... writes:
                                                I suggest a free library copy ;)
                                                What a delightful, novel idea! Wish I'd have thought of that! Now, where did I leave that library?
                                                Ken
                                              • hank9174
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jun 7 12:52 PM
                                                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
                                                  <huddleston.r@...> wrote:

                                                  > A recent review on H-Net has a delightful summing up which is equally
                                                  > accurate here:
                                                  >
                                                  > "In many ways [insert name of book] does what good scholarship should
                                                  do, it
                                                  > raises more questions than it tries to answer

                                                  The first conclusion of all research is that more research in this area
                                                  needs to be funded ;)

                                                  HankC
                                                • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jun 7 7:31 PM
                                                    In a message dated 6/7/2006 5:31:35 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, rtaubman@... writes:
                                                    So is the author have a bias or do we have a bias that won't let us get past the author's criticism?
                                                    Let me give you a little example of what I believe that could be considered bashing or personal bias by an author:  {lnames have been changed}

                                                    Theopholis complained that he was "lazy", but Shadrack seeming lack of initiative may have stemmed from a chronic physical complaint.

                                                    First of all, there was no documentation that Theopholis ever said or inferred that Shadrack was lazy.  There is documentation that Shadrack was slow in fulfilling the orders given to him.  In showing his bias, the author gave his own opinion that Shadrack's problems "may have" resulted from a physical condition.  Once again, there was no documentation given that Shadrack had a chronic physical complaint, with only the author's word that he had one.  Now if Shadrack did have a chronic physical condition, if it interfered with the performance of his duty, should he remain in the command position he holds.  If not, then why does the author defend him as such.

                                                    The above is taken directly from a CW book with only the names being changed.  The author was very "critical" of Theopholis throughout the book and said very few positive things about him.

                                                    JEJ

                                                  • melchizedek22
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jun 8 7:48 AM
                                                      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman <rtaubman@...> wrote:

                                                      > Who would you consider as writing "alternate history" to better
                                                      their "bottomline"? Which batch of current authors fits into that
                                                      category?
                                                      > Sherman did much to end the war,had reasonable losses,but yet
                                                      Castel goes out of his way to bash him at ever chance he gets in two
                                                      books.Castel treats Sherman the way Ann CoulterAKA Axis Sally treats
                                                      Liberals!BvT