Re: Kulp House Was the Gulp House

  • Bill Bruner
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2006
      Thank you Ken. After some rummaging about I have found the
      pertinent passage.

      Bill Bruner

      KULP HOUSE, 5.30 P.M.

      General SHERMAN: We have repulsed two heavy attacks, and feel
      confident, our only apprehension being from our extreme right flank.
      Three entire corps are in front of us.

      Major-General HOOKER.

      Hooker's corps (the Twentieth) belonged to Thomas's army; Thomas's
      headquarters were two miles nearer to Hooker than mine; and Hooker,
      being an old army officer, knew that he should have reported this
      fact to Thomas and not to me; I was, moreover, specially disturbed
      by the assertion in his report that he was uneasy about his right
      flank, when Schofield had been specially ordered to protect that. I
      first inquired of my adjutant, Dayton, if he were certain that
      General Schofield had received his orders, and he answered that the
      envelope in which he had sent them was receipted by General
      Schofield himself. I knew, therefore, that General Schofield must be
      near by, in close support of Hooker's right flank. General Thomas
      had before this occasion complained to me of General Hooker's
      disposition to "switch off," leaving wide gaps in his line, so as to
      be independent, and to make glory on his own account. I therefore
      resolved not to overlook this breach of discipline and propriety.
      The rebel army was only composed of three corps; I had that very day
      ridden six miles of their lines, found them everywhere strongly
      occupied, and therefore Hooker could not have encountered "three
      entire corps." Both McPherson and Schofield had also complained to
      me of this same tendency of Hooker to widen the gap between his own
      corps and his proper army (Thomas's), so as to come into closer
      contact with one or other of the wings, asserting that he was the
      senior by commission to both McPherson and Schofield, and that in
      the event of battle he should assume command over them, by virtue of
      his older commission.

      They appealed to me to protect them. I had heard during that day
      some cannonading and heavy firing down toward the "Kulp House,"
      which was about five miles southeast of where I was, but this was
      nothing unusual, for at the same moment there was firing along our
      lines full ten miles in extent. Early the next day (23d) I rode down
      to the "Kulp House," which was on a road leading from Powder Springs
      to Marietta, about three miles distant from the latter. On the way I
      passed through General Butterfield's division of Hooker's corps,
      which I learned had not been engaged at all in the battle of the day
      before; then I rode along Geary's and Williams's divisions, which
      occupied the field of battle, and the men were engaged in burying
      the dead. I found General Schofield's corps on the Powder Springs
      road, its head of column abreast of Hooker's right, therefore
      constituting "a strong right flank," and I met Generale Schofield
      and Hooker together. As rain was falling at the moment, we passed
      into a little church standing by the road-side, and I there showed
      General Schofield Hooker's signal-message of the day before. He was
      very angry, and pretty sharp words passed between them, Schofield
      saying that his head of column (Hascall's division) had been, at the
      time of the battle, actually in advance of Hooker's line; that the
      attack or sally of the enemy struck his troops before it did
      Hooker's; that General Hooker knew of it at the time; and he offered
      to go out and show me that the dead men of his advance division
      (Hascall's) were lying farther out than any of Hooker's. General
      Hooker pretended not to have known this fact. I then asked him why
      he had called on me for help, until he had used all of his own
      troops; asserting that I had just seen Butterfield's division, and
      had learned from him that he had not been engaged the day before at
      all; and I asserted that the enemy's sally must have been made by
      one corps (Hood's), in place of three, and that it had fallen on
      Geary's and Williams's divisions, which had repulsed the attack
      handsomely. As we rode away from that church General Hooker was by
      my side, and I told him that such a thing must not occur again; in
      other words, I reproved him more gently than the occasion demanded,
      and from that time he began to sulk. General Hooker had come from
      the East with great fame as a "fighter," and at Chattanooga he was
      glorified by his "battle above the clouds," which I fear turned his
      head. He seemed jealous of all the army commanders, because in
      years, former rank, and experience, he thought he was our superior.