Re: Stragglers and refugees at Shiloh

  • pvtjessett
    Message 1 of 342 , Jun 3, 2006
      Compliments,
      I'll answer my own remark. On the second day after rebs were
      withdrawn from front line positions. Forrest stated (Yes Mr.
      Huddeleston I can verify), "Only God can save that Fort".
      Donnelson not only was more than a bust for the Sesesh, it kept
      Grant around. To the southern chagrin later on.

      Paul

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "pvtjessett" <pw541301@...>
      wrote:

      > Compliments,
      > Just my own opine, but I believe the Western Boys, a tad more "war
      > like" (standard of living-frontier) then the blue fellowes had
      ever
      > seen anything like them (Western Rebs) before. To say they were
      > spooked may explain there hiding under the river bank, been there,
      > small place for 5,000 plus.
      > Donelson, Forrest considered the place right off the bat. but was
      > the only person to "lead" troops away ( Lick Creek )
      > I Quit.
      >

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Stanley Balsky <balsky@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > A bit more experienced than the armed mobs at first
      > > Manassas.
      > > Stan
      > >
      > > --- keeno2@ wrote:
      > >
      > > > In a message dated 6/1/2006 11:57:03 AM Central
      > > > Daylight Time,
      > > > melchizedek22@ writes:
      > > > I think one thing that has not been said,about
      > > > Shiloh,is they
      > > > were two armys,with very little training at the
      > > > time,which really
      > > > means two armed mobs. And Generals who really were
      > > > Captains,learning
      > > > to be Generals on the job.Its a wonder more didn't
      > > > run,and that both
      > > > sides did as good as they did. BvT
      > > > two
      > > > Ditto! It is also amazing that a fight of such
      > > > magnitude actually occurred,
      > > > and that both sides performed so well. Shiloh should
      > > > have mirrored 1st
      > > > Manassas. It didn't. Hmmmm? Western boys!
      > > > Ken

      > > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • pvtjessett
      Message 342 of 342 , Jun 3, 2006