Re: [civilwarwest] Corps

  • Dick Weeks
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2006
      JEJ, I really don't know.  I don't use him that much.  I depend more on Livermore for stats.  Besides I cheat and use Phisterer's book that came with "Campaigns of the Civil War".  It is part of the DVD that I mentioned in the earlier post.  It is also on the Guild Press CD titled "Campaigns of the Civil War".  The DVD has all of the Guild Press CDs on it.  Phisterer's book on the DVD and CD is "Statistical Record Of The Armies Of The United States" consisting of three parts;  PART I., Numbers And Organization Of The Armies Of The United States,  PART II.Chronological Record Of Engagements, Battles, Etc., In The United States, 1861 To 1865, and PART III., Record Of The General Officers Of The Armies Of The United States During The War Of The Rebellion.

      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
      http://www.civilwarhome.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2006
        In a message dated 6/3/2006 8:48:12 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, shotgun@... writes:
        The DVD has all of the Guild Press CDs on it.  Phisterer's book on the DVD and CD is "Statistical Record Of The Armies Of The United States" consisting of three parts;  PART I., Numbers And Organization Of The Armies Of The United States,  PART II.Chronological Record Of Engagements, Battles, Etc., In The United States, 1861 To 1865, and PART III., Record Of The General Officers Of The Armies Of The United States During The War Of The Rebellion.
        The CD then is copy of Phisterer's book.  I have the 1882 First edition that I bought at a Used Book Store across the street from the Illinois State Capitol.  I don't know how many times I have used it for reference and how many times I can remember a professor of my Statistics Class telling us, Statistics are how you make them and how you interpret them.  Its like the old story, is the glass half full or is it half empty.  Despite all the numbers given, one has to realize that many enlisted more than once.  One also has to remember that many listed as missing may have been killed and their body not found, he could have been wounded and wandered off, or he plainly could have deserted.  We don't know for sure.  We can only view the statistics given by various authors. not as values etched in granite, but as an approximate guide line.  IOW, it gives us an idea on the numbers.

        JEJ