Re: [civilwarwest] Corps

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
      In a message dated 6/2/2006 6:08:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, clarkc@... writes:
      When were US corps formed in the west?

      McClellan had corps in April'1862; the largest US command at Shiloh was
      still a division...

      HankC
      December 1862
    • Dick Weeks
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
        Hank, I really don't know if I can help that much on this question but I
        have a lot of Fox's Regimental Losses on my website. Part of the sections
        that I do have is the "Union Corps Organizations":

        http://www.civilwarhome.com/chapter8.htm

        Additionally, on this page of my website I have a little more info from
        Phisterer.

        http://www.civilwarhome.com/usforces.htm

        By the way, in the order of a little website promotion, most of you folks
        remember that I took over LSU's Civil War Center Civil War Index site and
        have been adding to it over the weeks. I reached my goal of 10,000 links
        the other day. However, as promised, I check the links every few weeks and
        the last time I checked, I lost many of them. Most of the "free sites"
        (those that do not have a domain name) don't last that long so I am a little
        below 10,000 links right now. Not much, but a little. Still in all, having
        one site with almost 10,000 Civil War links ain't all that bad :-) Take a
        look when you get the chance.

        http://www.civilwarhome.com/indexcivilwarinfo.htm

        Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
        http://www.civilwarhome.com

        McClellan had corps in April'1862; the largest US command at Shiloh was
        still a division...

        HankC

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2006
          In a message dated 6/2/2006 7:14:28 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, shotgun@... writes:
          Additionally, on this page of my website I have a little more info from
          Phisterer.
          Shotgun,
          I have Phisterer's Volume XIII.  How many volumes on statistics did he either write or edit???

          JEJ
        • Dick Weeks
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2006
            JEJ, I really don't know.  I don't use him that much.  I depend more on Livermore for stats.  Besides I cheat and use Phisterer's book that came with "Campaigns of the Civil War".  It is part of the DVD that I mentioned in the earlier post.  It is also on the Guild Press CD titled "Campaigns of the Civil War".  The DVD has all of the Guild Press CDs on it.  Phisterer's book on the DVD and CD is "Statistical Record Of The Armies Of The United States" consisting of three parts;  PART I., Numbers And Organization Of The Armies Of The United States,  PART II.Chronological Record Of Engagements, Battles, Etc., In The United States, 1861 To 1865, and PART III., Record Of The General Officers Of The Armies Of The United States During The War Of The Rebellion.

            Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
            http://www.civilwarhome.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2006
              In a message dated 6/3/2006 8:48:12 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, shotgun@... writes:
              The DVD has all of the Guild Press CDs on it.  Phisterer's book on the DVD and CD is "Statistical Record Of The Armies Of The United States" consisting of three parts;  PART I., Numbers And Organization Of The Armies Of The United States,  PART II.Chronological Record Of Engagements, Battles, Etc., In The United States, 1861 To 1865, and PART III., Record Of The General Officers Of The Armies Of The United States During The War Of The Rebellion.
              The CD then is copy of Phisterer's book.  I have the 1882 First edition that I bought at a Used Book Store across the street from the Illinois State Capitol.  I don't know how many times I have used it for reference and how many times I can remember a professor of my Statistics Class telling us, Statistics are how you make them and how you interpret them.  Its like the old story, is the glass half full or is it half empty.  Despite all the numbers given, one has to realize that many enlisted more than once.  One also has to remember that many listed as missing may have been killed and their body not found, he could have been wounded and wandered off, or he plainly could have deserted.  We don't know for sure.  We can only view the statistics given by various authors. not as values etched in granite, but as an approximate guide line.  IOW, it gives us an idea on the numbers.

              JEJ