Re: Stragglers and refugees at Shiloh

  • Dan Giallombardo
    Message 1 of 342 , Jun 2, 2006
      I must agree. Shiloh, in a sense stands as a testament to
      both armies. There's a gaping difference between stubborness and sheer
      determination. Courage and determination were in abundance on that
      battlefield-regardless of which side one favors.----Dan

      > In a message dated 6/1/2006 11:57:03 AM Central Daylight Time,
      > melchizedek22@... writes:
      > I think one thing that has not been said,about Shiloh,is they
      > were two armys,with very little training at the time,which really
      > means two armed mobs. And Generals who really were Captains,learning
      > to be Generals on the job.Its a wonder more didn't run,and that both
      > sides did as good as they did. BvT
      > two
      > Ditto! It is also amazing that a fight of such magnitude actually
      occurred,
      > and that both sides performed so well. Shiloh should have mirrored
      1st
      > Manassas. It didn't. Hmmmm? Western boys!
      > Ken

    • pvtjessett
      Message 342 of 342 , Jun 3, 2006
        Compliments,
        I'll answer my own remark. On the second day after rebs were
        withdrawn from front line positions. Forrest stated (Yes Mr.
        Huddeleston I can verify), "Only God can save that Fort".
        Donnelson not only was more than a bust for the Sesesh, it kept
        Grant around. To the southern chagrin later on.

        Paul

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "pvtjessett" <pw541301@...>