Re: Stragglers and refugees at Shiloh

  • Dan Giallombardo
    Message 1 of 342 , Jun 2, 2006
      Thank you for that information. The swamp certainly
      sounds large enough to create problems. Rather reminds me of my golf
      game: a heckuva way to ruin a nice walk.-----Dan

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald black" <rblack0981@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > On the morning of the first day, April 6th, it was a rain swollen
      > morass, much wider than its normal limits. It was this swamp that
      > broke up Cleburne's attack and not the union defenders. It also
      > caused difficulty for Ponds brigade to the west and delayed his
      > brigade from getting on the high ground for its fight with
      McDowell's
      > brigade. Anderson's brigade followed Cleburne and his advance was
      > delayed and disrupted although he got through it because the union
      > defenders had been pushed back.
      > > Ron
      Shiloh

      > > In a message dated 5/18/2006 11:27:41 AM Central Daylight Time,
      > DanGiallo@ writes:
      > > Just out of my curiosity, does anyone know the size of
      > > that swamp?----Dan
      > > Dan: The exact dimensions are unknown to me, but walking across
      it
      > (by paved road, of course) gives you an idea of its enormity. The
      East
      > Branch of the Shiloh Branch to Owl Creek arises near Barnes Field.
      It
      > proceeds roughly west, creating a fairly deep wooded ravine just
      south
      > of the Shiloh Meeting House, and flattens out into swamp about where
      > it crosses Highway 22 until it reaches Owl Creek. In the area
      Cleburn
      > needed to cross to get at Sherman's right, I'd place it at roughly a
      > mile. Even where the Branch is not yet "swamp," it is a formidable
      > obstacle to infantry -- maintaining formation would have been
      > extremely difficult for seasoned troops, let alone green ones.
      > >
      > > Ken
      >

      > The estimate of a mile seems far greater than what a look at a
      contour
      > map suggests. See:
      > http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?
      z=16&n=3888274.00008052&e=376207.999998723&datum=nad83

      > I'm not sure that link will get you there exactly, but looking at
      > Topozone.com's map of Shiloh Branch makes it appear that, until it
      > hits the Owl Creek bottoms, the branch's bottom is about 1/5 mile
      > across at its widest.
      >
      > Joseph

    • pvtjessett
      Message 342 of 342 , Jun 3, 2006
        Compliments,
        I'll answer my own remark. On the second day after rebs were
        withdrawn from front line positions. Forrest stated (Yes Mr.
        Huddeleston I can verify), "Only God can save that Fort".
        Donnelson not only was more than a bust for the Sesesh, it kept
        Grant around. To the southern chagrin later on.

        Paul

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "pvtjessett" <pw541301@...>