Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Stragglers and refugees at Shiloh

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 342 , Jun 1, 2006
      In a message dated 6/1/2006 11:57:03 AM Central Daylight Time, melchizedek22@... writes:
      I think one thing that has not been said,about Shiloh,is they
      were two armys,with very little training at the time,which really
      means two armed mobs. And Generals who really were Captains,learning
      to be Generals on the job.Its a wonder more didn't run,and that both
      sides did as good as they did. BvT
      two
      Ditto! It is also amazing that a fight of such magnitude actually occurred, and that both sides performed so well. Shiloh should have mirrored 1st Manassas. It didn't. Hmmmm? Western boys!
      Ken
    • pvtjessett
      Message 342 of 342 , Jun 3, 2006
        Compliments,
        I'll answer my own remark. On the second day after rebs were
        withdrawn from front line positions. Forrest stated (Yes Mr.
        Huddeleston I can verify), "Only God can save that Fort".
        Donnelson not only was more than a bust for the Sesesh, it kept
        Grant around. To the southern chagrin later on.

        Paul

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "pvtjessett" <pw541301@...>