Re: Stragglers and refugees at Shiloh

  • melchizedek22
    Message 1 of 342 , Jun 1, 2006
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald black" <rblack0981@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > On the morning of the first day, April 6th, it was a rain swollen
      > morass, much wider than its normal limits. It was this swamp that
      > broke up Cleburne's attack and not the union defenders. It also
      > caused difficulty for Ponds brigade to the west and delayed his
      > brigade from getting on the high ground for its fight with
      McDowell's
      > brigade. Anderson's brigade followed Cleburne and his advance was
      > delayed and disrupted although he got through it because the union
      > defenders had been pushed back.
      > > Ron
      Shiloh

      > > In a message dated 5/18/2006 11:27:41 AM Central Daylight Time,
      > DanGiallo@ writes:
      > > Just out of my curiosity, does anyone know the size of
      > > that swamp?----Dan
      > > Dan: The exact dimensions are unknown to me, but walking across
      it
      > (by paved road, of course) gives you an idea of its enormity. The
      East
      > Branch of the Shiloh Branch to Owl Creek arises near Barnes Field.
      It
      > proceeds roughly west, creating a fairly deep wooded ravine just
      south
      > of the Shiloh Meeting House, and flattens out into swamp about where
      > it crosses Highway 22 until it reaches Owl Creek. In the area
      Cleburn
      > needed to cross to get at Sherman's right, I'd place it at roughly a
      > mile. Even where the Branch is not yet "swamp," it is a formidable
      > obstacle to infantry -- maintaining formation would have been
      > extremely difficult for seasoned troops, let alone green ones.
      > >
      > > Ken
      >

      > The estimate of a mile seems far greater than what a look at a
      contour
      > map suggests. See:
      > http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?
      z=16&n=3888274.00008052&e=376207.999998723&datum=nad83

      > I'm not sure that link will get you there exactly, but looking at
      > Topozone.com's map of Shiloh Branch makes it appear that, until it
      > hits the Owl Creek bottoms, the branch's bottom is about 1/5 mile
      > across at its widest.
      >
      > Joseph

      I think one thing that has not been said,about Shiloh,is they
      were two armys,with very little training at the time,which really
      means two armed mobs. And Generals who really were Captains,learning
      to be Generals on the job.Its a wonder more didn't run,and that both
      sides did as good as they did. BvT
      two
    • pvtjessett
      Message 342 of 342 , Jun 3, 2006
        Compliments,
        I'll answer my own remark. On the second day after rebs were
        withdrawn from front line positions. Forrest stated (Yes Mr.
        Huddeleston I can verify), "Only God can save that Fort".
        Donnelson not only was more than a bust for the Sesesh, it kept
        Grant around. To the southern chagrin later on.

        Paul

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "pvtjessett" <pw541301@...>