Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Stragglers and refugees at Shiloh

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 342 , May 31, 2006
      In a message dated 6/1/2006 12:22:13 AM Central Daylight Time, josepharose@... writes:
      I'm not sure that link will get you there exactly, but looking at
      Topozone.com's map of Shiloh Branch makes it appear that, until it
      hits the Owl Creek bottoms, the branch's bottom is about 1/5 mile
      across at its widest.
      Across is one thing. The length is another, which I thought I was discussing. The branch in discussion ranges from mild through almost impassible. From the head to the swamp, there were varying degrees of difficulty. On the western edge, extremely severe; on the eastern, moderately discomfiting. Cleburne was crossing in the middle of that.
      Ken
    • pvtjessett
      Message 342 of 342 , Jun 3, 2006
        Compliments,
        I'll answer my own remark. On the second day after rebs were
        withdrawn from front line positions. Forrest stated (Yes Mr.
        Huddeleston I can verify), "Only God can save that Fort".
        Donnelson not only was more than a bust for the Sesesh, it kept
        Grant around. To the southern chagrin later on.

        Paul

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "pvtjessett" <pw541301@...>