Grant, Buell and Fort Donelson

  • josepharose
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2006
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald black" <rblack0981@...>
      wrote:

      > Bill:
      > The dispute between Grant and Buell had its beginnings at the start
      of the Grant's move up the Tennessee River to Fort Henry. Grant
      wanted Buell to start diversionary moves to hold Johnston's troops at
      Bowling Green. All he got was a bunch of excuses mixed in with a few
      minor slight moves. This hardly what a man of action like Grant
      wanted to hear. You probably remember the many troops from Bowling
      Green that were sent to Ft. Donelson which clearly indicates the
      failure of Buell's feeble efforts. After that, Buell was toast in
      Grant's mind.
      > Ron

      Ron,

      May I ask, what are you basing this on? Are there contemporary
      sources which indicate this? I know that Buell and Halleck had
      dealings on this issue, but I don't remember anything about Grant's
      personal involvement.

      Joseph