Official Records on CD

  • Mark Gaffney
    Message 1 of 13 , May 30, 2006
      I just purchased the Official Records on CD from e-bay. The
      manufacturer is "Vintage Channel". Does anybody else have this CD? I am
      finding that searching isn't so easy. I think I just wasted my money.
      Any advice on working their program would be appreciated.
    • Ronald black
      Message 2 of 13 , May 31, 2006
        Mark:
        The CD form of the OR's is no substitute for the printed book.  You can start your collection by visiting on line, Strand Books at the lowest price I ever seen.  Just google it.
        Ron
        Message 3 of 13 , May 31, 2006
          I have the OR-CD made by Guild Press and have used it for years. I also
          have the one from H-Bar and dearly hate it. H-Bar has far too many errors
          in it to even be useful as far as I am concerned. They not only have a lot
          of spelling errors but in many cases leave entire sentences out. I have
          never heard of the one that you have. However, if there are not that many
          errors in it you will be able to overcome the search function the more you
          use it. When I first got the CD from Guild Press I thought their search
          engine stunk. But the more I used it the more I saw how they had designed
          it and what it could and could not do. I really love it now. Best advice I
          can give is just keep trying different things with the search function.
          There are probably a dozen effective ways to search for what you are looking
          for.

          I think the best deal out there on things like this is the Civil War DVD,
          originally put out by Guild Press. They do not sell this kind of data any
          more and the designer of the CDs and the DVD has his own website. (
          http://www.CivilWarAmerica.com ) For about $160 you get the ORs, the Naval
          ORs, Fox's Regimental Losses, the Southern Historical Society Papers, The
          Confederate Military History, the Military Atlas to Accompany the Official
          Records, Campaigns of the Civil War (all 19 books), the Medical and Surgical
          History of the War of the Rebellion, and Confederate Generals Speak (7
          biographical and autobiographical books, covering Robert E. Lee, Jubal
          Early, J.E.B. Stuart, John B. Gordon, James Longstreet, G. Moxley Sorrel,
          and Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson.

          Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
          http://www.civilwarhome.com

          >I just purchased the Official Records on CD from e-bay. The
          > manufacturer is "Vintage Channel". Does anybody else have this CD? I am
          > finding that searching isn't so easy. I think I just wasted my money.
          > Any advice on working their program would be appreciated.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Steve Saultz
          Message 4 of 13 , May 31, 2006
            Ronald black <rblack0981@...> wrote:
            The CD form of the OR's is no substitute for the printed book.

                          Total agreement here Mr. Black.....It may take a little time collecting, but well worth the time & investment...

                             Respectfully Your Humble Servant,
                              Capt. McCracken...............

            Ronald black <rblack0981@...> wrote:
            Mark:
            The CD form of the OR's is no substitute for the printed book.  You can start your collection by visiting on line, Strand Books at the lowest price I ever seen.  Just google it.
            Ron
            I just purchased the Official Records on CD from e-bay. The
            manufacturer is "Vintage Channel". Does anybody else have this CD? I am
            finding that searching isn't so easy. I think I just wasted my money.
            Any advice on working their program would be appreciated.

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 13 , May 31, 2006

              I have about 90 volumes of the OR, plus the Guild Press CD and the DVD Dick mentioned.

              Nowadays, I think if you want to participate actively on discussion boards that expect source citations, or if you’re doing any sort of research, a digital set of the OR’s is a must.  Guild Press has the best search engine.  Facsimile reproductions of OR pages are available at several on-line sites like Making of America.  But you can’t beat the books, if you have a) the space, b) the money and c) the time.

              Of course, there are a few problems with the printed versions of the OR’s as well.  If you intend on drawing any controversial conclusions based on their content, be sure to go to the source for verification.

              Harry

            • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , May 31, 2006
                In a message dated 5/30/2006 10:53:36 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, marmusman@... writes:
                I just purchased the Official Records on CD from e-bay. The
                manufacturer is "Vintage Channel". Does anybody else have this CD? I am
                finding that searching isn't so easy. I think I just wasted my money.
                Any advice on working their program would be appreciated.
                IMHO, Guild Press is the best and always has been.

                JEJ
              • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , May 31, 2006
                  In a message dated 5/31/2006 8:30:22 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, rblack0981@... writes:
                  Mark:
                  The CD form of the OR's is no substitute for the printed book.  You can start your collection by visiting on line, Strand Books at the lowest price I ever seen.  Just google it.
                  Ron
                  Only if you have the space to put them.  Last time I heard, the price was over $1200 for the complete set.

                  JEJ
                • henry.moon
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 31, 2006
                    I'm probably missing something here, but I thought the complete OR's
                    were available for free on the internet, like Cornells website, and
                    maybe a couple of others?

                    Regards,
                    Henry

                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, GnrlJEJohnston@... wrote:

                    > In a message dated 5/30/2006 10:53:36 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    > marmusman@... writes:
                    >
                    > I just purchased the Official Records on CD from e-bay. The
                    > manufacturer is "Vintage Channel". Does anybody else have this
                    CD? I am
                    > finding that searching isn't so easy. I think I just wasted my
                    money.
                    > Any advice on working their program would be appreciated.
                    >

                    > IMHO, Guild Press is the best and always has been.
                    >
                    > JEJ

                  • Mark Gaffney
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 31, 2006
                      I already have 6 books of the OR, still in shrink wrap, also bought
                      off e-bay. But it will take some time to aquire all the volumes.

                      I guess no one has experience with this search engine. I will just
                      have to work on it.

                      Thanks all.

                      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, GnrlJEJohnston@... wrote:

                      > In a message dated 5/31/2006 8:30:22 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      > rblack0981@... writes:
                      >
                      > Mark:
                      > The CD form of the OR's is no substitute for the printed book.
                      You can
                      > start your collection by visiting on line, Strand Books at the
                      lowest price I
                      > ever seen. Just google it.
                      > Ron
                      >

                      > Only if you have the space to put them. Last time I heard, the
                      price was
                      > over $1200 for the complete set.
                      >
                      > JEJ

                    • Mark Gaffney
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 31, 2006
                        The problem i find with Cornells version - their searchable text has
                        many spelling error from the character recognition software they
                        used after scanning it in. So searches are not always complete.

                        Thanks

                        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "henry.moon" <bullrun1@...>
                        wrote:

                        > I'm probably missing something here, but I thought the complete
                        OR's
                        > were available for free on the internet, like Cornells website, and
                        > maybe a couple of others?
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > Henry
                        >

                        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, GnrlJEJohnston@ wrote:
                        > >

                        > > In a message dated 5/30/2006 10:53:36 P.M. Eastern Standard
                        Time,
                        > > marmusman@ writes:
                        > >
                        > > I just purchased the Official Records on CD from e-bay. The
                        > > manufacturer is "Vintage Channel". Does anybody else have this
                        > CD? I am
                        > > finding that searching isn't so easy. I think I just wasted my
                        > money.
                        > > Any advice on working their program would be appreciated.
                        > >

                        > > IMHO, Guild Press is the best and always has been.
                        > >
                        > > JEJ

                      • Ronald black
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 31, 2006
                          Mark:
                          Collecting the OR's by the individual volume is part of the fun and excitement which builds the pride of ownership of the many volumes of the set.  I have 91 volumes presently and have almost of the volumes for the western theater.  The hard to find books are concerning the eastern theater but I will continue efforts to get them but not as fast as the western campaign books.  The books that I do have look impressive on my bookshelf (or bookshelves) while the H-bar OR disk that I own does not look so good on my bookshelf.  Abebooks in Chicago is another source.  Morningstar in Dayton is expensive.
                          Ron

                          wrote:

                          > I'm probably missing something here, but I thought the complete
                          OR's
                          > were available for free on the internet, like Cornells website, and
                          > maybe a couple of others?
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          > Henry
                          >

                          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, GnrlJEJohnston@ wrote:
                          > >

                          > > In a message dated 5/30/2006 10:53:36 P.M. Eastern Standard
                          Time,
                          > > marmusman@ writes:
                          > >
                          > > I just  purchased the Official Records on CD from e-bay. The
                          > > manufacturer is  "Vintage Channel". Does anybody else have this
                          > CD? I am
                          > > finding that  searching isn't so easy. I think I just wasted my
                          > money.
                          > > Any advice on  working their program would be appreciated.
                          > >

                          > > IMHO, Guild Press is the best and always has been.
                          > >
                          > > JEJ

                          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                        • oneplez
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 2, 2006
                            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...>
                            wrote:

                            > I have about 90 volumes of the OR, plus the Guild Press CD and the
                            DVD Dick
                            > mentioned.
                            >

                            > Nowadays, I think if you want to participate actively on discussion
                            boards
                            > that expect source citations, or if you're doing any sort of
                            research, a
                            > digital set of the OR's is a must. Guild Press has the best search
                            engine.
                            > Facsimile reproductions of OR pages are available at several on-
                            line sites
                            > like Making of America. But you can't beat the books, if you have
                            a) the
                            > space, b) the money and c) the time.

                            Nice job on CW Bookshelf. ( http://cwbn.blogspot.com/ ) Can you get
                            Rotov to include the CW in the West?

                            Don

                            > Of course, there are a few problems with the printed versions of
                            the OR's as
                            > well. If you intend on drawing any controversial conclusions based
                            on their
                            > content, be sure to go to the source for verification.
                            >

                            > Harry

                            5/29/2006

                            > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                            5/29/2006

                            > American
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=American+civil+war&w1=American+civil+wa

                            r&w2=American+civil+war+book&w3=American+civil+war+art&w4=American+civ
                            il+war

                            +soldier&w5=Civil+war&w6=Civil+war+chess+set&c=6&s=153&.sig=Oun__w3cUz
                            LF69g7
                            > 2SZkGg> civil war
                            >
                            > American
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=American+civil+war+book&w1=American+civ

                            il+war&w2=American+civil+war+book&w3=American+civil+war+art&w4=America
                            n+civi

                            l+war+soldier&w5=Civil+war&w6=Civil+war+chess+set&c=6&s=153&.sig=f8IMq
                            CohxN4
                            > 1D56Zjf1WVw> civil war book
                            >
                            > American
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=American+civil+war+art&w1=American+civi

                            l+war&w2=American+civil+war+book&w3=American+civil+war+art&w4=American
                            +civil

                            +war+soldier&w5=Civil+war&w6=Civil+war+chess+set&c=6&s=153&.sig=IYqR4b
                            yY7Sgm
                            > v_HS9OwlDQ> civil war art
                            >

                            > American
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=American+civil+war+soldier&w1=American+

                            civil+war&w2=American+civil+war+book&w3=American+civil+war+art&w4=Amer
                            ican+c

                            ivil+war+soldier&w5=Civil+war&w6=Civil+war+chess+set&c=6&s=153&.sig=r8
                            aaNKgI
                            > R67xXJ4ii4m6xw> civil war soldier
                            >
                            > Civil
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Civil+war&w1=American+civil+war&w2=Amer

                            ican+civil+war+book&w3=American+civil+war+art&w4=American+civil+war+so
                            ldier&

                            w5=Civil+war&w6=Civil+war+chess+set&c=6&s=153&.sig=PoAmATBJAu3SQDwrsOl

                            > war
                            >
                            > Civil
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Civil+war+chess+set&w1=American+civil+w

                            ar&w2=American+civil+war+book&w3=American+civil+war+art&w4=American+ci
                            vil+wa
                            > r+soldier&w5=Civil+war&w6=Civil+war+chess+set&c=6&s=153&.sig=Kyg-
                            j7FkDidRVQG
                            > ihxcByQ> war chess set
                            >

                            > _____
                            >

                            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                            >

                            > * Visit your group "civilwarwest
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/civilwarwest> " on the web.

                            subject=Unsubscribe>

                            > _____

                          • Harry Smeltzer
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 2, 2006
                              I don't think anyone can get Dmitri to do anything. I did squeeze some
                              non-Eastern stuff in there with Darien, Banks, and Hood.

                              Harry

                              > I have about 90 volumes of the OR, plus the Guild Press CD and the
                              DVD Dick
                              > mentioned.
                              >

                              > Nowadays, I think if you want to participate actively on discussion
                              boards
                              > that expect source citations, or if you're doing any sort of
                              research, a
                              > digital set of the OR's is a must. Guild Press has the best search
                              engine.
                              > Facsimile reproductions of OR pages are available at several on-
                              line sites
                              > like Making of America. But you can't beat the books, if you have
                              a) the
                              > space, b) the money and c) the time.

                              Nice job on CW Bookshelf. ( http://cwbn.blogspot.com/ ) Can you get
                              Rotov to include the CW in the West?

                              Don

                              > Of course, there are a few problems with the printed versions of
                              the OR's as
                              > well. If you intend on drawing any controversial conclusions based
                              on their
                              > content, be sure to go to the source for verification.
                              >

                              > Harry

                              5/29/2006

                              > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                              5/29/2006

                              > American
                              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                              t=ms&k=American+civil+war&w1=American+civil+wa

                              r&w2=American+civil+war+book&w3=American+civil+war+art&w4=American+civ
                              il+war

                              +soldier&w5=Civil+war&w6=Civil+war+chess+set&c=6&s=153&.sig=Oun__w3cUz
                              LF69g7
                              > 2SZkGg> civil war
                              >
                              > American
                              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                              t=ms&k=American+civil+war+book&w1=American+civ

                              il+war&w2=American+civil+war+book&w3=American+civil+war+art&w4=America
                              n+civi

                              l+war+soldier&w5=Civil+war&w6=Civil+war+chess+set&c=6&s=153&.sig=f8IMq
                              CohxN4
                              > 1D56Zjf1WVw> civil war book
                              >
                              > American
                              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                              t=ms&k=American+civil+war+art&w1=American+civi

                              l+war&w2=American+civil+war+book&w3=American+civil+war+art&w4=American
                              +civil

                              +war+soldier&w5=Civil+war&w6=Civil+war+chess+set&c=6&s=153&.sig=IYqR4b
                              yY7Sgm
                              > v_HS9OwlDQ> civil war art
                              >

                              > American
                              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                              t=ms&k=American+civil+war+soldier&w1=American+

                              civil+war&w2=American+civil+war+book&w3=American+civil+war+art&w4=Amer
                              ican+c

                              ivil+war+soldier&w5=Civil+war&w6=Civil+war+chess+set&c=6&s=153&.sig=r8
                              aaNKgI
                              > R67xXJ4ii4m6xw> civil war soldier
                              >
                              > Civil
                              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                              t=ms&k=Civil+war&w1=American+civil+war&w2=Amer

                              ican+civil+war+book&w3=American+civil+war+art&w4=American+civil+war+so
                              ldier&

                              w5=Civil+war&w6=Civil+war+chess+set&c=6&s=153&.sig=PoAmATBJAu3SQDwrsOl

                              > war
                              >
                              > Civil
                              > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                              t=ms&k=Civil+war+chess+set&w1=American+civil+w

                              ar&w2=American+civil+war+book&w3=American+civil+war+art&w4=American+ci
                              vil+wa
                              > r+soldier&w5=Civil+war&w6=Civil+war+chess+set&c=6&s=153&.sig=Kyg-
                              j7FkDidRVQG
                              > ihxcByQ> war chess set
                              >

                              > _____
                              >

                              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS