Re: Tunnel Hill?

  • pvtjessett
    Message 1 of 18 , May 28, 2006
      Rebel Rob, Compliments

      Yes the Great Train chase is more than intrigueging. I was unaware
      of where the old units were layed to rest, so to speak. Took
      the "Trace" from Tuepelo to Jackson once, on the way to Vicksburg,
      but have as yet to go east from there. Some Day!!!

      Paul

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Robert Hoover
      <csa_rebel_rob@...> wrote:

      > "henry.moon" <bullrun1@...> wrote: Is this the incident that
      involved the train that was called "The
      > General"? Or am I thinking of another event?
      >
      > Regards,
      > Henry
      >
      > Yes this is the incident you are thinking of.
      >
      > Like Steve the first time I also heard anything about this was a
      2-part Disney Show back in the 1950's IIRC. Fess Parker (who was
      best known as Davy Crocket) played the roll of James Andrews.
      Needless to say, being a big Davy Crocket/Fess Parker fan, I was
      rooting for the 'Engine Thieves'. I thought it was just a very
      interesting, fictional story.

      > Surprise! Surprise! When I started studying the War Between The
      States, I was quite amazed to find out it was a true story. Since
      it was based on Pittenger's book, no wonder it was so anti-
      Confederate. Never did I ever expect to be living so close to where
      it happened and both the General and the Texas. (I live just
      outside of Atlanta going up I-85 towards SC.)

      > While most people just automatically think of the 'General' when
      referring to 'The Great Locomotive Chase' there was also the 'Yonah'
      (From Cooper's Ironworks in Etowah, GA) until stopped by a break in
      the line between Kingston and Addairsville; the 'Texas' which was
      run backwards from Addairsville until the end of the chase. Plus
      Captain William A. Fuller (conductor of the train pulled by
      the 'General') chased the 'General on foot and by hand cars/push
      cars. He simply refused to call it quits!

      > The 'General' today is in the museum at Big Shanty
      (Marietta/Kennesaw) GA and the last I knew the 'Texas' was housed in
      the lobby of the Atlanta Cyclorama in Grant's Park (and NO, it is
      not named after THAT Grant!!) in Atlanta, GA. They make a very
      nice 'side trip' if y'all come to the Kennesaw Battlefield Park.
      There is also an historical marker at the corner of 3rd and Juniper
      in Atlanta indicating the (approx.) spot where Andrews was hung.

      > An excellent book, IMHO, is 'The Great Locomotive Chase' by
      Craig Angle. Mr. Angle also includes quotes from Fuller, Murphy as
      well as other engineers and stationmasters besides the ones from the
      Raiders themselves (Pittenger, Dorsey, Wilson, etc.) and includes
      over 100 photographs. I do not have any connection to either the
      book or the author. But I do feel it is fairly well balanced.