Reynold's panicking

  • josepharose
    Message 1 of 141 , May 27, 2006
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, DPowell334@... wrote:
      > In a message dated 5/26/2006 4:11:17 PM Central Standard Time,
      > wh_keene@... writes:
      > I'm pretty sure this was Corinth. Is it true? We may never know
      > The story is from Corinth.
      > I can tell you one true story: Major General Joseph J. Reynolds, on
      > 20th at Chickamauga. In Kelly field he urged Palmer to surrender,
      and then
      > later, while he was moving with a part of Turchin's Brigade, he
      panicked and
      > tore off his shoulder straps in order to disguise his rank, and then
      urged the
      > men he was with not to fire on the enemy, for fear that it would
      enrage them. He
      > thought capture was emminent. He was very conveniently removed from
      > command after that, and made Rosey's Chief of staff.
      > Dave Powell

      Interesting. I think Thomas was with Reymolds during part of the
      withdrawal, and afterwards Thomas gave him a nice commendation in his
      after-battle report.

      May I ask: When during the battle did this occur? Who saw it and
      reported it? Did Thomas find out about it and when? If he was later
      made Rosey's Chief of staff to get him out of line duty, it would seem
      that Rosey knew.

      Excerpt from Thomas' OR:
      In passing through an open woods bordering the State road, and
      between my last and Reynolds' position, I was cautioned by a
      couple of soldiers, who had been to hunt water, that there was
      a large force of the rebels in these woods, drawn up in line
      and advancing toward me. Just at this time I saw the head of
      Reynolds' column approaching, and calling to the general
      himself, directed him to form line perpendicular to the State
      road, changing the head of his column to the left, with his
      right resting on that road, and to charge the enemy, who were
      then in his immediate front. This movement was made with the
      utmost promptitude, and facing to the right while on the
      march, Turchin threw his brigade upon the rebel force, rout-
      ing them and driving them in utter confusion entirely beyond
      Baird's left. In this splendid advance more than 200 prisoners
      were captured and sent to the rear.

      Colonel Robinson, commanding the Second Brigade, Reynolds'
      division, followed closely upon Turchin, and I posted him on
      the road leading through the ridge to hold the ground while
      the troops on our right and left passed by. In a few moments
      General Willich, commanding a brigade of Johnson's division,
      reported to me that his brigade was in position on a
      commanding piece of ground to the right of the Ridge road. I
      directed him to report to General Reynolds, and assist in
      covering the retirement of the troops. Turchin's brigade,
      after driving the enemy a mile and a half, was reassembled,
      and took its position on the Ridge road, with Robinson and
    • Ronald black
      Message 141 of 141 , Feb 28, 2007
        They say that timing is everything but you don't quite have it right.  W.H.L. Wallace was wounded late in the day, about 5:00 pm during the withdrawal of his troops and while they were in the process of being trapped by the confederates.  There is a possibility that he may have been captured if he was not wounded.  Wallace's division took position at 10:00 am in the Duncan field and the western portion of the sunken road.  They held until about 4:00 pm, the retreat began first with the artillery, then the regiments started pulling back.  At this time, they started to come disorganized while in the withdrawal, those still in front line positions continued to hold for a short while longer.  The balance of units fighting at the front after 5:00 pm were commanded by Prentiss and he had troops from all three divisions and they were coming unglued.  The surrenders started shortly, about 5:30.
        As to Grant and the sunken road, I believe that he had very little to do with the selection of this lane as a position.  At 10:00 am, Wallace and Hurlbut ordered and put their troops in position along this lane and placed Prentiss' survivors between them.  Grant only approved their choice of position.  Actuall the Official Reports are mostly silent about Grant and this position.
        From: Tom Mix [mailto:tmix@ insightbb. com]
        Wednesday, February 28, 2007 11:32 AM
        To: 'civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com'
        Subject: RE: [civilwarwest] Re:

        I agree completely in what your saying about how they ended up in the lane. They sort of “fell” together there. But Grant did recognize something about the position that made a defense plausible then set it as the official design for defense.  I have found it highly creditable as to how Will Wallace’s unit maintained a degree of order after their commander’s mortal wound, the heavy attack confronting them, the confusion surrounding the soldiers, the terrain limits and such and yet they stay together, re-establish order, establish a defensive line and coordinate with Prentiss.  It speaks well for the more junior officers of the Division. And Grant’s personal involvement.

        If any one walks the road one of the first things that becomes very apparent is that it is not “sunken” any where.  The fencing, the tree line, the slight undulation kind of creating a natural rallying point, I would guess, for those who were not high tailing it to the rear. As I think about those men in blue at that specific moment, I am always impressed with their courage, clarity of purpose and ability to keep their heads while those all around them were losing their’s, literally and figuratively.  I would guess that seeing Grant at the front amidst all the smoke, noise, trees, chaos, disorder and death must have had a positive effect on the men too. I think it could be equated to the response to Hancock 1 July  1863, IMO.

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.