Re: [civilwarwest] Visiting Mud, I mean...Shiloh

  • DORR64OVI@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 24, 2006
      In a message dated 5/24/2006 1:12:27 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, patbartonekjones@... writes:
      Thanks for the memories.  ;)
      Ah...the memories of Mudloh....and to think that was ten years ago.  I was there with the Federal troops and I remember all of it.  We fought early Sat am and I can still hear the sounds of the fighting before dawn while having breakfast in our camp.  Even though we knew what was happening, it was still eerie.  Of course the scene was partially ruined by some idiot who had left his white Neon parked in camp.  And then the downpours came.  What a mess.
          To this day I dont how my partner got the conversion van (remember those?) we came in out of the parking area without getting stuck.  When the reenactment was called off, we went over and toured the battlefield.  Absolutely a beautiful place and I need to go back.
         When we left, we drove over to Stones River after dark and slept in the Round Forest.  I remember finding the graves of some of the veterans from the 64th OVI which we portray (raised here in Richland County Ohio) and sprinkling soil from home on their resting places.
      Wouldn't trade that trip for anything.
      Kent Dorr