Re: [civilwarwest] Visiting Shiloh

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 23, 2006
      In a message dated 5/23/2006 12:30:10 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, tmix@... writes:
      It would be fun to see it in the fall when there is less foliage but I’ll guarantee it was more full in April, 1862 than in Nov.- Feb. 1861-62. Spring is early down there by mid to late March things are in bloom.
      The first time I was at Shiloh was for the 135th Anniversary of the battle.  I made contact with a few AOL MD Chat room buddies including Lee White for the first time as well.  I got there late Thurs. night and put up at a motel in Corinth thanks to a gal called Bollistic B whereas she went down to stay with one of her friends in Savannah.  IIRC, they said that they had ten thousand re-enactors there to portray that battle.  Friday, I toured the battlefield going to every spot where the 40th Illinois and the 1st Brigade of the Fifth Division (Sherman's) was.  Starting in the late afternoon, it started raining.  I went over to meet with a bunch that I knew from the MD Room at Dirty Billy's.  What a mess.  The mucky mud pulled off my shoe four times, but luckily I was able to retrieve it.  My pants were stained by the red clay mud (stain never did come out and had to throw them away) and I was a soggy mess getting back to Corinth.  I got up early Sat morn and drove back to where they were to hold the reenactment, just to see a few practice for the big show.  Then all of a sudden, the sponsors called off the reenactment because of the wet weather and wet ground.  It didn't matter that the conditions were exactly like they were 135 years previously to the day.  The only one that made out on that trip were the farmers.  They charged $100 cash for each vehicle they towed from the fields.  If the vehicle had a trailer, it was $100 for the vehicle and $100 for the trailer.  No plastic or checks were accepted.  Nice huh.  From then on, that day has been known as Mudloh.

      JEJ