Joe Johnston: the Confederacy's best hope in the west

  • Arie alkema
    Message 1 of 342 , May 6, 2006
      I have just finished reading Craig Symond's magnificent biography, Joseph E. Johnston: A Civil War  Biography , and I believe that he was probably the best  general in the west, on either side. Certainly, Jefferson Davis' dislike for generals like Johnston and Beauregard, ( and appreciation for Bragg), doomed the Confederacy's fortunes in the western theater.

      Perhaps if Johnston's strategy of using N.B.Forrests' cavalry to sever Sherman's vulnerable supply lines had have been adopted the war may have continued much longer.

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • pvtjessett
      Message 342 of 342 , Jun 3, 2006
        Compliments,
        I'll answer my own remark. On the second day after rebs were
        withdrawn from front line positions. Forrest stated (Yes Mr.
        Huddeleston I can verify), "Only God can save that Fort".
        Donnelson not only was more than a bust for the Sesesh, it kept
        Grant around. To the southern chagrin later on.

        Paul

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "pvtjessett" <pw541301@...>