Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Shooting of wounded on battlefields

  • Ricky Washburn
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2006
      Seems though that there were alot more stories of
      comradeship out there than the shootings...

      --- Jfepperson@... wrote:

      > > Question, since most will recover and return to
      > the fight why is
      > > this a "horrible pratice"? This is a fight to the
      > death, what would
      > > you expect?
      >
      > I think the notion of shooting a wounded man who is
      > helpless and cannot
      > defend himself is considered less than humane.
      > Frankly, I wonder how
      > much of this kind of practice was the result of
      > random bullets hitting
      > men who are down, i.e., it was not deliberate.
      >
      > JFE

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • endeavorgot
      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2006
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Ricky Washburn <rwwiv@...>
        wrote:

        > Seems though that there were alot more stories of
        > comradeship out there than the shootings...
        >

        > --- Jfepperson@... wrote:
        >

        > > > Question, since most will recover and return to
        > > the fight why is
        > > > this a "horrible pratice"? This is a fight to the
        > > death, what would
        > > > you expect?
        > >
        > > I think the notion of shooting a wounded man who is
        > > helpless and cannot
        > > defend himself is considered less than humane.
        > > Frankly, I wonder how
        > > much of this kind of practice was the result of
        > > random bullets hitting
        > > men who are down, i.e., it was not deliberate.
        > >
        > > JFE

        I've read, heard, seen somewhere that it is bad form, very bad form
        to shoot an enemy (or an animal) while he is taking a dump.

        Bill Bruner __________________________________________________
        > Do You Yahoo!?
        > http://mail.yahoo.com

      • Bob Huddleston
        Message 3 of 9 , May 5, 2006

          The well dumping was done by private contractors hired to cleanup the site, IIRC.

          As for someone claiming that there was wholesale shooting of enemy wounded -- how come the claimant survived? Obviously he was found and medically cared for by the victors.

          Take care,

          Bob

          Judy and Bob Huddleston
          10643 Sperry Street
          Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
          303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@...

          "Don't argue with someone who claims the earth is flat. You haven't given it a second thought, whereas he has spent 20 years thinking about and obsessing over why it is flat."

          Message 4 of 9 , May 5, 2006
            --- Bob Huddleston <huddleston.r@...> wrote:

            > The well dumping was done by private contractors
            > hired to cleanup the site,
            > IIRC.

            ~~~~ I have read that they were soldiers though~~~~

            > As for someone claiming that there was wholesale
            > shooting of enemy wounded
            > -- how come the claimant survived? Obviously he was
            > found and medically
            > cared for by the victors.

            ~~~or he managed to get away~~~~Like the yankees
            troops at fred'sburg

            > Take care,
            >
            > Bob
            >
            > Judy and Bob Huddleston
            > 10643 Sperry Street
            > Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
            > 303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@...
            >
            > "Don't argue with someone who claims the earth is
            > flat. You haven't given it
            > a second thought, whereas he has spent 20 years
            > thinking about and obsessing
            > over why it is flat."
            >

            > _____

            r&w2=Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war&w6=

            United+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=PLhSD0RGhooh2tXWQrpA1w>
            > civil war
            > Civil

            l+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war&w6=United+st
            > ate+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=rEnWOoAzy2uXEjwEqbvKQw> war
            > United

            Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war&w6=Unite
            > d+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=iLfklVD4PyvX0P-TPXBdyQ>
            > states
            > Civil

            &w2=Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war&w6=U

            nited+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=5ubNl6PEd3y2Dmlp5shYpg>
            > war history Of

            w2=Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war&w6=Un

            ited+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=xGDN2KXuQrheRYzvZoUVcQ>
            > the civil war
            > United

            &w2=Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war&w6=U

            nited+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=yF_kwbpG9O-0SNRFfNB27g>

            http://mail.yahoo.com