Re: [civilwarwest] Shooting of wounded on battlefields

  • Ricky Washburn
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2006
      I have read that after the battles around South
      Moutain Maryland...(east im sorry) that the Union
      troops did such, and even dumped bodies down private
      citizens wells, until an officer stopped them at the
      owners request.

      --- keeno2@... wrote:

      > Daylight Time,
      > jimchristianhall@... writes:
      > I have been a student of the Civil War since 1961
      > and I have never
      > heard of this previously.
      > Jim:
      > It's not the kind of thing you write home about,
      > unless it's the other side
      > doing the shooting. But it would defy human nature
      > to claim that it didn't
      > happen. Take 1,000 men. There have to be a
      > couple-three who would do that just for
      > fun. Take another 10 or 20 whose rage did not
      > subside easily. Throw in a
      > smattering of friendly fire and some poorly aimed
      > shots, and you can only wonder
      > why there isn't more information on the subject.
      > Ken

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • James2044
      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2006
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jimchristianhall"
        <jimchristianhall@...> wrote:

        > Hi folks,
        >
        > I was reading an account last night by a CSA survivor of Gettysburg
        > who was wounded - and as he lay wounded on the battlefield - he
        said
        > that Union troops had deliberately shot at all of the CSA wounded
        on
        > the field. Already suffering a leg injury, he said he was shot
        again,
        > this time in the hip.
        >
        > I have been a student of the Civil War since 1961 and I have never
        > heard of this previously.
        >
        > Does anyone here have any more information about this horrible
        practice?

        I've seen many accounts that say it was your life to move, cry out
        or show a light. Union accounts list Fredericksburg, Cold Harbor
        and any siege as examples of USA wounded being shot.

        Question, since most will recover and return to the fight why is
        this a "horrible pratice"? This is a fight to the death, what would
        you expect?

        James2044
      • Jfepperson@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , May 4, 2006
          > Question, since most will recover and return to the fight why is
          > this a "horrible pratice"? This is a fight to the death, what would
          > you expect?

          I think the notion of shooting a wounded man who is helpless and cannot
          defend himself is considered less than humane. Frankly, I wonder how
          much of this kind of practice was the result of random bullets hitting
          men who are down, i.e., it was not deliberate.

          JFE
        • Ricky Washburn
          Message 4 of 9 , May 4, 2006
            Seems though that there were alot more stories of
            comradeship out there than the shootings...

            --- Jfepperson@... wrote:

            > > Question, since most will recover and return to
            > the fight why is
            > > this a "horrible pratice"? This is a fight to the
            > death, what would
            > > you expect?
            >
            > I think the notion of shooting a wounded man who is
            > helpless and cannot
            > defend himself is considered less than humane.
            > Frankly, I wonder how
            > much of this kind of practice was the result of
            > random bullets hitting
            > men who are down, i.e., it was not deliberate.
            >
            > JFE

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • endeavorgot
            Message 5 of 9 , May 4, 2006
              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Ricky Washburn <rwwiv@...>
              wrote:

              > Seems though that there were alot more stories of
              > comradeship out there than the shootings...
              >

              > --- Jfepperson@... wrote:
              >

              > > > Question, since most will recover and return to
              > > the fight why is
              > > > this a "horrible pratice"? This is a fight to the
              > > death, what would
              > > > you expect?
              > >
              > > I think the notion of shooting a wounded man who is
              > > helpless and cannot
              > > defend himself is considered less than humane.
              > > Frankly, I wonder how
              > > much of this kind of practice was the result of
              > > random bullets hitting
              > > men who are down, i.e., it was not deliberate.
              > >
              > > JFE

              I've read, heard, seen somewhere that it is bad form, very bad form
              to shoot an enemy (or an animal) while he is taking a dump.

              Bill Bruner __________________________________________________
              > Do You Yahoo!?
              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Bob Huddleston
              Message 6 of 9 , May 5, 2006

                The well dumping was done by private contractors hired to cleanup the site, IIRC.

                As for someone claiming that there was wholesale shooting of enemy wounded -- how come the claimant survived? Obviously he was found and medically cared for by the victors.

                Take care,

                Bob

                Judy and Bob Huddleston
                10643 Sperry Street
                Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
                303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@...

                "Don't argue with someone who claims the earth is flat. You haven't given it a second thought, whereas he has spent 20 years thinking about and obsessing over why it is flat."

                --- keeno2@... wrote:

                > In a message
                dated 5/4/2006 3:29:48 PM Central

                jimchristianhall@... writes:
                > I have been a student of the Civil
                War since 1961
                > and I have never
                > heard of this
                previously.
                > Jim:
                > It's not the kind of thing you write home
                about,
                > unless it's the other side
                > doing the shooting. But it
                would defy human nature
                > to claim that it didn't
                > happen. Take
                1,000 men. There have to be a
                > couple-three who would do that just for
                > fun. Take another 10 or 20 whose rage did not
                > subside easily.
                Throw in a
                > smattering of friendly fire and some poorly aimed

                shots, and you can only wonder
                > why there isn't more information on the
                subject.
                > Ken

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Ricky Washburn
                Message 7 of 9 , May 5, 2006
                  --- Bob Huddleston <huddleston.r@...> wrote:

                  > The well dumping was done by private contractors
                  > hired to cleanup the site,
                  > IIRC.

                  ~~~~ I have read that they were soldiers though~~~~

                  > As for someone claiming that there was wholesale
                  > shooting of enemy wounded
                  > -- how come the claimant survived? Obviously he was
                  > found and medically
                  > cared for by the victors.

                  ~~~or he managed to get away~~~~Like the yankees
                  troops at fred'sburg

                  > Take care,
                  >
                  > Bob
                  >
                  > Judy and Bob Huddleston
                  > 10643 Sperry Street
                  > Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
                  > 303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@...
                  >
                  > "Don't argue with someone who claims the earth is
                  > flat. You haven't given it
                  > a second thought, whereas he has spent 20 years
                  > thinking about and obsessing
                  > over why it is flat."
                  >

                  > _____

                  r&w2=Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war&w6=

                  United+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=PLhSD0RGhooh2tXWQrpA1w>
                  > civil war
                  > Civil

                  l+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war&w6=United+st
                  > ate+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=rEnWOoAzy2uXEjwEqbvKQw> war
                  > United

                  Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war&w6=Unite
                  > d+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=iLfklVD4PyvX0P-TPXBdyQ>
                  > states
                  > Civil

                  &w2=Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war&w6=U

                  nited+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=5ubNl6PEd3y2Dmlp5shYpg>
                  > war history Of

                  w2=Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war&w6=Un

                  ited+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=xGDN2KXuQrheRYzvZoUVcQ>
                  > the civil war
                  > United

                  &w2=Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war&w6=U

                  nited+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=yF_kwbpG9O-0SNRFfNB27g>

                  http://mail.yahoo.com