Shooting of wounded on battlefields

  • jimchristianhall
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2006
      Hi folks,

      I was reading an account last night by a CSA survivor of Gettysburg
      who was wounded - and as he lay wounded on the battlefield - he said
      that Union troops had deliberately shot at all of the CSA wounded on
      the field. Already suffering a leg injury, he said he was shot again,
      this time in the hip.

      I have been a student of the Civil War since 1961 and I have never
      heard of this previously.

      Does anyone here have any more information about this horrible practice?

      James Hall (author: "Den of Misery: Indiana's Civil War Prison"
      Pelican Publishing Co., April, 2006).
    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2006
        In a message dated 5/4/2006 3:29:48 PM Central Daylight Time, jimchristianhall@... writes:
        I have been a student of the Civil War since 1961 and I have never
        heard of this previously.
        Jim:
        It's not the kind of thing you write home about, unless it's the other side doing the shooting. But it would defy human nature to claim that it didn't happen. Take 1,000 men. There have to be a couple-three who would do that just for fun. Take another 10 or 20 whose rage did not subside easily. Throw in a smattering of friendly fire and some poorly aimed shots, and you can only wonder why there isn't more information on the subject.
        Ken
      • Ricky Washburn
        Message 3 of 9 , May 4, 2006
          I have read that after the battles around South
          Moutain Maryland...(east im sorry) that the Union
          troops did such, and even dumped bodies down private
          citizens wells, until an officer stopped them at the
          owners request.

          --- keeno2@... wrote:

          > Daylight Time,
          > jimchristianhall@... writes:
          > I have been a student of the Civil War since 1961
          > and I have never
          > heard of this previously.
          > Jim:
          > It's not the kind of thing you write home about,
          > unless it's the other side
          > doing the shooting. But it would defy human nature
          > to claim that it didn't
          > happen. Take 1,000 men. There have to be a
          > couple-three who would do that just for
          > fun. Take another 10 or 20 whose rage did not
          > subside easily. Throw in a
          > smattering of friendly fire and some poorly aimed
          > shots, and you can only wonder
          > why there isn't more information on the subject.
          > Ken

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • James2044
          Message 4 of 9 , May 4, 2006
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jimchristianhall"
            <jimchristianhall@...> wrote:

            > Hi folks,
            >
            > I was reading an account last night by a CSA survivor of Gettysburg
            > who was wounded - and as he lay wounded on the battlefield - he
            said
            > that Union troops had deliberately shot at all of the CSA wounded
            on
            > the field. Already suffering a leg injury, he said he was shot
            again,
            > this time in the hip.
            >
            > I have been a student of the Civil War since 1961 and I have never
            > heard of this previously.
            >
            > Does anyone here have any more information about this horrible
            practice?

            I've seen many accounts that say it was your life to move, cry out
            or show a light. Union accounts list Fredericksburg, Cold Harbor
            and any siege as examples of USA wounded being shot.

            Question, since most will recover and return to the fight why is
            this a "horrible pratice"? This is a fight to the death, what would
            you expect?

            James2044
          • Jfepperson@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , May 4, 2006
              > Question, since most will recover and return to the fight why is
              > this a "horrible pratice"? This is a fight to the death, what would
              > you expect?

              I think the notion of shooting a wounded man who is helpless and cannot
              defend himself is considered less than humane. Frankly, I wonder how
              much of this kind of practice was the result of random bullets hitting
              men who are down, i.e., it was not deliberate.

              JFE
            • Ricky Washburn
              Message 6 of 9 , May 4, 2006
                Seems though that there were alot more stories of
                comradeship out there than the shootings...

                --- Jfepperson@... wrote:

                > > Question, since most will recover and return to
                > the fight why is
                > > this a "horrible pratice"? This is a fight to the
                > death, what would
                > > you expect?
                >
                > I think the notion of shooting a wounded man who is
                > helpless and cannot
                > defend himself is considered less than humane.
                > Frankly, I wonder how
                > much of this kind of practice was the result of
                > random bullets hitting
                > men who are down, i.e., it was not deliberate.
                >
                > JFE

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • endeavorgot
                Message 7 of 9 , May 4, 2006
                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Ricky Washburn <rwwiv@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Seems though that there were alot more stories of
                  > comradeship out there than the shootings...
                  >

                  > --- Jfepperson@... wrote:
                  >

                  > > > Question, since most will recover and return to
                  > > the fight why is
                  > > > this a "horrible pratice"? This is a fight to the
                  > > death, what would
                  > > > you expect?
                  > >
                  > > I think the notion of shooting a wounded man who is
                  > > helpless and cannot
                  > > defend himself is considered less than humane.
                  > > Frankly, I wonder how
                  > > much of this kind of practice was the result of
                  > > random bullets hitting
                  > > men who are down, i.e., it was not deliberate.
                  > >
                  > > JFE

                  I've read, heard, seen somewhere that it is bad form, very bad form
                  to shoot an enemy (or an animal) while he is taking a dump.

                  Bill Bruner __________________________________________________
                  > Do You Yahoo!?
                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Bob Huddleston
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 5, 2006

                    The well dumping was done by private contractors hired to cleanup the site, IIRC.

                    As for someone claiming that there was wholesale shooting of enemy wounded -- how come the claimant survived? Obviously he was found and medically cared for by the victors.

                    Take care,

                    Bob

                    Judy and Bob Huddleston
                    10643 Sperry Street
                    Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
                    303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@...

                    "Don't argue with someone who claims the earth is flat. You haven't given it a second thought, whereas he has spent 20 years thinking about and obsessing over why it is flat."

                    jimchristianhall@... writes:
                    > I have been a student of the Civil
                    War since 1961
                    > and I have never
                    > heard of this
                    previously.
                    > Jim:
                    > It's not the kind of thing you write home
                    about,
                    > unless it's the other side
                    > doing the shooting. But it
                    would defy human nature
                    > to claim that it didn't
                    > happen. Take
                    1,000 men. There have to be a
                    > couple-three who would do that just for
                    > fun. Take another 10 or 20 whose rage did not
                    > subside easily.
                    Throw in a
                    > smattering of friendly fire and some poorly aimed

                    shots, and you can only wonder
                    > why there isn't more information on the
                    subject.
                    > Ken

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • Ricky Washburn
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 5, 2006
                      --- Bob Huddleston <huddleston.r@...> wrote:

                      > The well dumping was done by private contractors
                      > hired to cleanup the site,
                      > IIRC.

                      ~~~~ I have read that they were soldiers though~~~~

                      > As for someone claiming that there was wholesale
                      > shooting of enemy wounded
                      > -- how come the claimant survived? Obviously he was
                      > found and medically
                      > cared for by the victors.

                      ~~~or he managed to get away~~~~Like the yankees
                      troops at fred'sburg

                      > Take care,
                      >
                      > Bob
                      >
                      > Judy and Bob Huddleston
                      > 10643 Sperry Street
                      > Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
                      > 303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@...
                      >
                      > "Don't argue with someone who claims the earth is
                      > flat. You haven't given it
                      > a second thought, whereas he has spent 20 years
                      > thinking about and obsessing
                      > over why it is flat."
                      >

                      > _____

                      r&w2=Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war&w6=

                      United+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=PLhSD0RGhooh2tXWQrpA1w>
                      > civil war
                      > Civil

                      l+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war&w6=United+st
                      > ate+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=rEnWOoAzy2uXEjwEqbvKQw> war
                      > United

                      Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war&w6=Unite
                      > d+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=iLfklVD4PyvX0P-TPXBdyQ>
                      > states
                      > Civil

                      &w2=Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war&w6=U

                      nited+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=5ubNl6PEd3y2Dmlp5shYpg>
                      > war history Of

                      w2=Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war&w6=Un

                      ited+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=xGDN2KXuQrheRYzvZoUVcQ>
                      > the civil war
                      > United

                      &w2=Civil+war&w3=United+states&w4=Civil+war+history&w5=Of+the+civil+war&w6=U

                      nited+state+army&c=6&s=126&.sig=yF_kwbpG9O-0SNRFfNB27g>

                      http://mail.yahoo.com