Re: [civilwarwest] Re: DEL & Emancipation

  • Stanley Balsky
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2 9:52 AM
      IIRC ratification was part of the process of being
      readmitted to congress.
      Stan

      --- endeavorgot <banbruner@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
      <huddleston.r@...> wrote:

      > The late ratification does not surprise me. MD and
      CA finally got
      around to
      > ratifying the 13th in 1959 and the 14th in 1962!
      >
      > As for the initial failure to ratify during 1865, as
      well as the
      earlier
      > refusal to consider compensated emancipation, simply
      and all too
      sadly, this
      > shows how deeply ingrained slavery was in even a
      minor slave
      state.

      > Lincoln was very frustrated at the refusal of any of
      the border
      states to
      > even consider compensated along with delayed
      emancipation. His fine
      > mathematical mind argued that compensation would be
      a lot cheaper
      than a few
      > days of the war and it should have been obvious that
      slavery was
      doomed. But
      > none of the border state leadership, whether
      governor or senator or
      > representative would even talk about the subject.
      >
      > Take care,
      >
      > Bob

      How was the ratification of the 13th and 14th
      handled in the
      deep south states?

      Bill Bruner

      American civil war